interesting pic coming soon... any idea what it may be?

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

phonetic fish
metamorphling
metamorphling

interesting pic coming soon... any idea what it may be?

Postby phonetic fish » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:15 pm

a friend has quite thoughtfully taken a picture of a frog that frequents his mother's garden pond during the day/evening for me.

He is wondering what it is as it seemed to be blue in colour. According to him it sits in the pond on the plants and sunbakes.

I am thinking that it is a L. raniformis as it is the closest looking picture to the one he has given me.

the tympanym is clearly defined and beautifuly visible, the eyes are a lovely shade of golden brown and have a horozontal pupil, a bright green line runs the length of its back, feet dont appear to have any/minimal webbing and it is apparently around 7-10cm in total length.

the picture will be posted as soon as he gets back with the camera (he has taken it to go do something... probably take some different photos)

jodi

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:29 pm

Where's his mum located? Could also be Lim. dumerilli from the description, but I'll wait for a photo.

Thanks,

Evan

Donna
frog
frog

Postby Donna » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:48 pm

Aren't all Limnodynastes tympanums obscure?

Donna

Brad M
frog
frog

Postby Brad M » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:24 pm

Donna wrote:Aren't all Limnodynastes tympanums obscure?

Donna

Yes excpet for Lim. lignarius formally Megistolotis.

Could be Lit. aurea.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:10 pm

L. aurea has extensive webbing on its feet. I forgot about the tympanum, but I reckon it still could be Lim. dumerilii.

Evan

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:29 pm

It sounds similar to something in the L. aurea/raniformis mould except for the webbing on the feet. Don't think it is Lim. dumerilli because I dont think they bask during the day or have green dorsal stripes?

A location would help but maybe it's a Cyclorana species? They have distinct tympanums and not much webbing - the green stripe could mean it is C. alboguttata or something similar. But the blue tinge is a bit confusing.

Aaron

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:12 pm

It definately sounds like Litoria aurea/raniformis except for the feet webbing, but the pic will help a lot. Basking is generally something Litoria do, but for it to be Litoria it needs webbing.

phonetic fish
metamorphling
metamorphling

mystery frogs continued...

Postby phonetic fish » Sat May 26, 2007 5:01 pm

:oops: my friend forgot to save the photo for me and has to get a new one to replace the one he deleted...

until then... this tiny little guy, yes boy=he croaks, has the biggest "QUARK" I have ever heard. he has a long almost lime green stripe from nose to tail, orangeish red inner thighson his hind legs,

the white belly with black dotted decoration is pretty. feet are NOT WEBBED at all, toes are a bit like a banjo frog, but not quite as long. he also lacks the big bulges on his legs.

The yellow colouration around his eyes/lips dips below his chin like an old lady with badly applied foundation. Huge appetite, doesnt burrow, Very high jumper. likes crickets that are at least 3/4 his overall head size, will eat bigger, but wont touch smaller... I will call him mini mee. erm, oops actualy his name is "Prince Leon"
Attachments
Prince Leon in Profile.JPG
Prince Leon in Profile.JPG (4.17 KiB) Viewed 7700 times
Prince Leon.JPG
prince and pinky finger.JPG
Last edited by phonetic fish on Sat May 26, 2007 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sat May 26, 2007 5:40 pm

It just looks like a fat Litoria ewingii, but that photo is small. Is it in Tasmania?

Evan

phonetic fish
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby phonetic fish » Sun May 27, 2007 3:01 pm

yes Evan, it is in tassie.Although it looks nothing like anyother L. ewingii i have ever seen. the dorsal stripe is very fine and goes from close to the tip of the nose all the way in a continuous line to the point of the tail.

in the time i have had it it has not increased in size AT ALL. every other one I have had was either much larger (at least twice the size) or grew rappidly. the Toes are the other thing... Unless I have Misidentified my own L ewingii (checked it with gulper when he visited me) this guys toes are completely different.

Miss Croaky had short toes with some webbing and circular "suction cup" ends. Prince Leon has very slim and long toes that have no webbing, curve significantly and end in, what would be described in other animals as "claw like", tips.

I have never seen a L ewingii with black dots and blotches on its belly. Discolouration towards a dark brown when it has been over eating yes, but not individual distinct dots.

the other thing is the calling. instead of the rapid "creeking" that goes for a little while then stops for a few seconds and repeats itself, Prince Leon quacks a single loud "QUARK" each Quark is a distinctly singular sound.

I have a CD that is called "Natural History and Calls of Tasmanian Frogs" the copyright is attributed to Central North Field Naturalists. the closest calls are that of Pseudophyne semimarmorata in tone (but Prince Leon's call is more drawn out) and Litoria burrowsae (the quack factor).

manicackel
frog
frog

Postby manicackel » Sun May 27, 2007 3:21 pm

Can you send him to a place and they can ID him? You may have somthing interesting!! :?:

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sun May 27, 2007 3:27 pm

Alright, I will create a list from the frogs.org.au/frogs site of the frogs of Tasmania. We can then cross out those which are not possibilities. Red is not possible, green is possible

Litoria burrowsae (have huge toe discs, look nothing like photos)
Litoria ewingii (look similar in photos, need larger photo)
Litoria raniformis (looks nothing like photos)

Bryobatrachus nimbus (possible, though very unlikely due to habitat requirements)
Crinia signifera (possible, though belly looks wrong)
Crinia tasmaniensis (belly is missing pink)
Geocrinia laevis (possible, including the belly markings, call description is off)
Limnodynastes dumerilii (call description and photo)
Limnodynastes peronii (photo)
Limnodynastes tasmaniensis (photo)
Pseudophryne semimarmorata (ventral markings)

There is the possibility of him being an import from the mainland, but there is absolutely no way of telling this with the size of those photos. Really, really need larger photos.

Also, how sure are you that the calling was coming from this frog? Did you see him call, or did you follow the call and find this frog?

Evan

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun May 27, 2007 5:54 pm

The frog is Crinia signifera. The bellies look diff. in Tas. to what they do here. The photos don't look much like the description, pehaps he has more than 1 species.

phonetic fish
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby phonetic fish » Tue May 29, 2007 12:53 pm

Crinia Signifera... will have to do a bit more searching. Sadly I dont know of anyoneI could ask about I.D.ing Prince Leon... who is named after Kermit the Frog's Nephew Leon.

I have witnessed him calling, he makes such a racket. I am never fast enough to record him.

He is such a strange little frog. He gives me a headache.

Donna
frog
frog

Postby Donna » Wed May 30, 2007 6:21 pm

Perhaps you could experiment and see what makes him start calling. then you could set up to record him. You should get a better id then. I love listening to peoples recordings of frogs.

Donna

Brad M
frog
frog

Postby Brad M » Wed May 30, 2007 6:22 pm

the prince leon frog is signifera

Return to “Identification”