Please ID these

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

jsketch
spawn
spawn

Please ID these

Postby jsketch » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:38 pm

Hi, I caught a heaps of tadpoles in the Coomba (NSW) region - i know it's illegal, but I didn't know at the time - and now they're all morphing into frogs. Can someone please tell me what they are? I have tried to take good photos - but I't's alot harder than I thought.
Thanks
Josh
PS if the photos aren't in this post can someone please tell me how to add them. Thanks

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:01 pm

give us a description.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:49 pm

Click browse, and find the photos on your computer. Then click "add attachment". If the photo is too big, it won't upload. If this is the case, than you can make them smaller, or send me an email with the photo attached. I will make it smaller, and upload it for you.

Evan

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:38 pm

OK, I've uploaded the best three photos. They are the Common Green Tree Frog (Litoria caerulea).

Thanks,

Evan
Attachments
coomba frogs 016.jpg
coomba frogs 015.jpg
coomba frogs 013.jpg

jsketch
spawn
spawn

Postby jsketch » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:44 pm

Thanks heaps Evan. How big do these grow and how fast do they grow??
Josh

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:55 pm

They are the biggest tree frogs in your region, max of about 10cm. I'm sure you would have seen them around, they are very common. They are huge, green frogs, often found in toilets but also heard calling in drain pipes and tanks.

They grow reasonably fast, but it depends on how much food they have. It can take a few years to get to full size, or it can take one.

Thanks,

Evan

jsketch
spawn
spawn

Postby jsketch » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:15 pm

I actually live in the Suburbs in Sydney so we don't have many frogs around. I got these ones in Coomba on my aunt's property. I'm really excited that they are Green Tree Frogs, cause I think they look great. How often should I feed them. I've been feeding them crickets. How many crickets do each need and how often. I know I can also feed them mealworms, flies, woodies, cockcroaches what do you recommend is the best??

Thanks
Josh

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:59 pm

There are care sheets on taking care of green tree frogs in the keeping frogs section. Crickets are fine, and metamorph frogs should have food available most of the time.

jsketch
spawn
spawn

Postby jsketch » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:09 pm

Thanks heaps for your help

Josh

Return to “Identification”