Tadpole ID

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Misty
spawn
spawn

Tadpole ID

Postby Misty » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:13 am

I need some help identifying these tadpoles. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/d4rkmiss/DSCF4038.jpg Sorry the picture isn't great.

We found them in a big puddle of water down our bottom paddock yesterday. Mainly just wanting to know if they are frogs or toads? There are a lot of them there.

Thanks in advance. :)

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:46 am

Hi Misty,

They dont look like cane toad tadpoles to me. Toad tadpoles have small bodies and are a dark jet black colour with short tails.

From the photos I can see the ventral surface is transparent (we can see the intestinal coils) and that you found the tadpoles in a still water body I would take a stab and say they were Red Eyed Tree Frog (Litoria chloris) tadpoles but I could be wrong! :P It would help to know roughly where abouts in Queensland you are to help narrow it down.

Aaron

Misty
spawn
spawn

Postby Misty » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:49 am

Sunshine Coast, Nambour Area.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:21 pm

Yeah the aren't cane toads, they are Litoria chloris or Litoria gracilenta. They do look more like chloris though.

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:03 pm

they look like graceful's cos they usually have much more mottled tail than chloris. also teh face markings are much darker.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:04 pm

Yeah, but only 1 looks like that, the other 3 are plain like chloris.

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:06 pm

well she will jsut have to wait and see.

Misty
spawn
spawn

Postby Misty » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:16 pm

Thanks for the replies, my major concern was that I was breeding a cane toad colony. Umm if they are in a puddle ( it is big, but our rains seem to have stopped now) Should I check their water or just let them be? How long before they become frogs? Sorry frog idiot...

Another question.. a lot of people on here talk about relocating.. I am unsure on the laws on that.. they are down the back paddock, but is it ok to relocate a few to a garden pond? Or is it ok to keep a few in a tank to watch them transform and then let them go?

Also do cane toads eat tadpoles or just frog eggs? Sorry confused and clueless....

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:47 pm

There is nothing illegal (or wrong in my opinion) about moving them from a puddle to your pond. So long as it is not too far (>1km). Don't do it to all of them, as they might not like the pond. Only if you think they are in danger of dying when the puddle dries up.

Also, could you raise some of the taddies to morph (preferably one with mottled tail and one without). That way we can see who is right on ID :D. Use the search button up top, there are plenty of threads on tadpole care.

Evan

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:17 pm

Cane toads don't eat tadpoles or frog eggs, the main problems cane toads have with natives is that they compete with them for food.

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:22 pm

toads tadpoles do eat frogs eggs, if they hatch before the frogs or the eggs are laid when the toad tadpoles are already present its instinctive for the tadpoles to eat other frogs eggs cos it lowers competition and is a great source of food. also i have seen toad tadpoles eat a striped marsh frog tadpole in the local dam when it was very shallow.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:26 am

Yes, but that is the same with most natives anyway, I've seen tadpoles in dams rip apart striped marsh frog eggs in seconds when there are large number of tadpoles.

Misty
spawn
spawn

Postby Misty » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:38 am

Thanks for all the info guys, I think I might collect a few and watch them morph and let you know the outcome.

Another question, would it be better to use tank water or creek water?

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:32 pm

Water from the site is best, but tank water should be alright.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:32 pm

Depends on where you are. If the water in the creek is unpolluted, then it will be best. Otherwise, tank water still works.

Evan

Donna
frog
frog

Postby Donna » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:25 pm

When I collect taddies from puddles around our block, I collect some of the water that they were in, then over a period of time I gradually replace some every couple of days with my tank water. That way they dont get a shock from the temp or water quality change.

Donna

Misty
spawn
spawn

Postby Misty » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:30 pm

I used the creek water (but it's ok, i've drank it before when our tanks ran out and never got sick) I didn't wanna take any water from the site (puddle) as it has gotten a lot smaller since Sunday. Couple of inches maybe, it's still about 3 inches deep.

When we went down there was an ibis ( i think?) having a feast.
I read a care sheet from the arc ( i think it's called) and they said to feed endive and that fish food and low sodium cat food was ok ( do they mean tinned or dry?)

Sorry, this probably isn't the right place to post all these questions, but you guys have been so helpful. Also since Sunday they have grown little back legs, couldn't see any on Sunday and now they are quite visible. How long will it take for them to turn into frogs?

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:40 pm

Chloris and gracilenta take about 1.5 or 2 months to morph from when they were laid, so it shouldn't be much more than a couple weeks from now until they morph.

Misty
spawn
spawn

Postby Misty » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:05 am

The tadpoles have finally morphed, here's a couple of pictures.

So can someone tell me what they actually are. Please. :)

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:04 am

It is still hard to tell when they are that young, however they do look more like gracilenta.

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:20 pm

yaay i knew it :lol: thats what happen when you get gracefuls in your yard for 3yrs.

Misty
spawn
spawn

Postby Misty » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:51 pm

I gotta say, I admire your knowledge.

There is one that still hasn't morphed, it has had back legs for a while but no front ones in sight. Do some tadpoles not fully morph, or does he just need more time?

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:58 pm

Some just require more time than others.

Misty
spawn
spawn

Postby Misty » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:02 pm

It's been nearly a week, the photos I posted Monday were from Saturday. I have one little tadpole left, he still has no visible front legs and his upper chest area is still quite transparent and I think redder than the others were. Is he ok? He got the same care/treatment as the others, but he seems stuck/stunted.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:03 pm

Hes probably just the runt of the group, he should be fine.

Return to “Identification”