Taudactylus liemi taddy?

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Nathan Litjens
frog
frog

Taudactylus liemi taddy?

Postby Nathan Litjens » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:37 pm

Hi all,

Today I took my brother and his friend to Finch Hatton for a swim. The recent rains have washed the stones and sand, and I must say the place is looking beautiful. There was a little trickle of water crossing the track at one point, and I noticed there were tadpoles in it. I looked at them, and they are not like any Litoria I have seen. I have never seen a picture of a Liem's Frog tadpole, but these looked very similar to the Eungella Torrent Frog (also recorded from Finch Hatton) but without the distinctive markings. Later, after taking the photos we heard two Liem's Frogs calling in the same creek. Didn't find them. So small and wary...

Nathan Litjens
frog
frog

Postby Nathan Litjens » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:28 pm

Nobody has any idea?

It would be great if I could [legally] raise one and find out. Information on rainforest tadpoles is extremely difficult to get hold of. Anyway, heading to the Wet Tropics in a few hours to see if I can actually get a photo of a White Browed Whistlefrog and, hopefully a Northern Barred Frog.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:00 pm

Be sure to get some good ID photos of the Northern Barred Frog, as there are now two species up there, which look pretty similar: Mixophyes coggeri and Mixophyes schevilli.

I don't know the differences between them, as I haven't been able to get hold of the paper, but if you find some be sure to get photos of normal distinguishing characteristics (groin, vent etc.)

Evan

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:26 pm

I'd say Taud. leimi is likely what the tad is, I have never never seen a tadpole of their species so I cannot say with confidence, however it doesn't look like other species of frogs that are there.

Eipper
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Eipper » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Hi all,

I will post a pic of a T. liemi tadpole shortly, (the specimen was vouchered and I will have a confirmation of id shortly). The tadpole pictured above certainly looks similar to the animal I photographed.

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

Return to “Identification”