Can someone identify this frog please?

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

blackfuschia
spawn
spawn

Can someone identify this frog please?

Postby blackfuschia » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:58 am

Hi :)

I found this frog in my 3 year old's swimming pool. I'm wondering what it is, and whether or not it's poisonous? Also, is there someone I can call who can come and take it away, or should we capture it ourselves and set it free near the river?

I live in bayside outer Melbourne, near Frankston.

Here's some pics

http://www.blackfuschia.info/frog.html

I looked up frogs on the Mornington Penninsula and I think it looks a bit like this one-Crinia signifera
Eastern Common Froglet

http://frogs.org.au/frogs/search.php

I know nothing about frogs so I'm hoping someone can help me :) I want to return it to its natural habitat if possible

Thanks

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:46 am

1) since the frog didn't magically teleport into your swimming pool, i'm assuming it would be safe to the environment to just remove him from the pool. if you planned to take him to Adelaide or something, then you might have a problem ;)

2) i don't think frogs around here are poisonous, isn't that a feature reserved for the friendly cane toad? and tropical exotic frogs, of course. If you're worried, scoop him up in a bucket with a bit of water, then you don't have to touch him at all!

assume the standard disclaimer of me knowing not terribly much about frogs is here :D maybe Jim or someone from the ARC can respond who knows more!

robert
tadpole
tadpole

Postby robert » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:25 pm

Looks like a Striped Marsh Frog. Frogs travel around quite a lot and aren't necessarily in water at all. I'd just put him/her in some dense greenery nearby and I'll bet she'd be as happy as Larry - or Larina (whatever).

robert
tadpole
tadpole

Postby robert » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:48 pm

Thanks for the info Dave. Our pobblebonks don't have the distinctive stripe down the back so I didn't recognise it.

robert
tadpole
tadpole

Postby robert » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:44 am

Noticed that in Anstis' great Tadpole book, the southern 'pobblebonk' has been separated into several subspecies and the one with the vertebral stripe, found in very southern regions only, is called Southern Banjo Frog while the one without the stripe, which also occurs around Melbourne but not Tassie, is called the Eastern Banjo Frog. (We've got Banjo frog taddies now 110 cm long, more than four inches!)

michaels
frog
frog

Postby michaels » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:09 pm

id probably agree that they are closer to 4 inches more than 110cm

Return to “Identification”