Unidentified frog sound

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

David Ford
spawn
spawn

Unidentified frog sound

Postby David Ford » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:25 pm

I recently recorded some frogs at a site I did for the Melbourne Water Autumn 2004 frog census. I returned there because at our WaterWatch test site last sunday we heard some frogs (Common Froglet) for the first time in about 10 months. I was therefore curious to see if there was any increase or new frogs at sites where I had previously heard them. (I am referring to the Mill Park Lakes area, northern extremity of Melburne's suburban sprawl). To my delight I did hear a new frog at the site - Southern Brown Tree Frog, plus plenty of Common Froglets still.

In the background of the dominant Common Froglets, and strong (but few only) Brown Tree Frogs, I heard a softer call (not further away) which I will attach to this posting. I have cut and pasted the clearer bits of the recording. The sound ranges from a single "craaa" almost like a whirring sound, to the same thing repeated up to seven times.

The recordings were made Mon 2 Aug 04 8-9pm.
The weather was cool (<10 deg), with a light wind)
We had a little drizzle earlier in the day.
The site is a series of ponds in the stream, with read/grass around the waters edge, and some rocky areas.

Can you help me identify the sound. Many Thanks
Attachments
2Aug04unknown.mp3
Single (stronger) call, followed by X7 weaker call behind dominant Common Froglets.
(180.78 KiB) Downloaded 1104 times

Greg, Adelaide
tadpole
tadpole

tentative impression

Postby Greg, Adelaide » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:43 pm

I can hear what sounds like it may a bibrons toadlet.. may have a bit too many squelches in a row for a P. bibroni though, maybe more than one?

But it sounds like a Pseudophryne style squelch to me. Im from SA though so they may sound different.

Experts, please shoot me down straight away if im wrong anyone, im still learning this stuff myself and would be very grateful for a correction with reasons.

BTW does anyone know of good books/CDs that describe frog species sounds? ideally something that gives you a range of possibilities for one species call, with definite quantitative descriptions of frequency, times etc.
Or if audio, one that has several different examples of one species calling.

David Ford
spawn
spawn

Postby David Ford » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:58 pm

Thanks Greg and Dave for your feedback.

I thought it might be a common froglet too, but the repetition I don't think sits with this.
I thought also it could be a Southern Brown (Ewings) Tree frog as these were heard in the area, but this call was far too weak.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

What about other people posting some call variations for us novices to listen to, so we can get an idea of the different calls/sounds of the frogs.

Return to “Identification”