Sounds of tinkling bells

Need some help to identify a frog (or tadpole or egg mass)? Sounds like a job for the collective minds of the Community. Photographs and/or recordings are greatly appreciated. Results guaranteed (All money cheerfully refunded).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Bob
spawn
spawn

Sounds of tinkling bells

Postby Bob » Sat May 22, 2004 5:47 am

Has anyone else heard faint "silver bells" tinkling?
We have lived on our 3Acre block for 16 years and this year for the first time, we have this quiet and quite wonderful chorus from an old hibiscus bush each evening at dusk and into the early night.
Each "ring of the bell" is one note and each frog (or whatever is making the sound) "tinkle" is very soft it is a sound that is very difficult to "home in on" as it seems to waft in the air rather than eminate from a specific spot.
However despite many hours of searching have been unable to locate it's source.
We also have some 12-15 different frogs on our block (all living wild) so we sometimes have a cacophony of calls.
Regards and hope someone has an answer.
Bob

Jeff Dagg
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Jeff Dagg » Thu May 27, 2004 4:56 pm

Bob you can get some very good CDs of frog calls. I use these when I hear a new call.
They are available through [url=frogs.org.au/arcade/]the ARCade[/url].

Jeff :lol:

Greg, Adelaide
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Greg, Adelaide » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:19 am

There are frog descriptions and calls you can listen to found here

http://frogs.org.au/frogs/index.html

Roughly which region are you located in?

Bob
spawn
spawn

Tinkling bells

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:37 am

Thank you both for your replies.
Since my original message I have heard these same bells at South Kempsey (about 12K from our home) and at Port Macquarie (about 55 K from home) so they do not seem terribly threatened.
In both new locations they are in scrubby type bush.
Aldavilla, Kempsey & Port Macquarie are on the Mid North Coast of NSW.
I have looked up Frog call sites but have not found any sound or description of this melodic tinkle.
About two weeks ago I found a very small (approx 1.5CM long) light brown frog in the grass not far from the hibiscus where the bell sound comes from, however I set it free before really detailing it.
What I did note is it was a light brown (almost light tan) in colour, had a small hump on it's back, towards it's rear, it was very smooth skined (no warty sort of bumps). Perhaps it was one.
I have still been unable to see them in any of the locations mentioned above although there must be lots at each place, judging by the chorus they create.
Regards to all

Greg, Adelaide
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Greg, Adelaide » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:39 am

Some of the sounds recorded tend to vary a bit for some of the frogs..

When you say tinkle.. is it quite high pitched? almost like a cricket? Can you tell if it was one or more frog doing a single "tink" or was it a single frog making a "tin-kle tink-le"?

If you are curious to get it identified, you need to get a recording of the call(s). An old tape player would suffice.
If the calls arent that loud, rewind the tape and set the tape recorder recording right near where they are, walk away and wait for it to start again.

Many museums will be able to identify the frog from the call recording and a location.

Hopefully someone listening to this group will volunteer to identify it! (im not overly familiar with NSWs frogs)

When youve made your tape, im sure someone will be happy to step forward and identify it

Gramarye
spawn
spawn

Frog identification

Postby Gramarye » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:37 pm

I have found that a program called Ishmael is a great help in identifying frogs. It's a free bioacoustics program that allows you to cross reference calls and identify them from recordings or in real time. It takes a bit to set it up..but allows you create a database of calls. Having raved about it..i have only just set mine up, and hope to contribute to the group soon.
Living in the rainforest is to be surrounded by a wonderful cachophony of calls when it rains (often). But working out who's calling is a daunting task..some are obvious, but others are maddeningly out of reach..so I am trying this software. anyone else using it?

Return to “Identification”