Do spotted barking marsh frogs interbreed with other marsh?

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

taniaaust1
tadpole
tadpole

Do spotted barking marsh frogs interbreed with other marsh?

Postby taniaaust1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:47 pm

Not something planned but I ended up getting two different types of marsh frogs for my pond . (I got my first two tabpoles from a pet shop but that was expensive for what they are ($4-5 for a local marsh tabpole) and then I saw some very cheap ones advertised (spotted barking marshies) on gum tree for 60c so I got 10 of those.

Id really like to have specific species and now are concerned they could cross breed so they were no longer species specific marsh frogs. Could different kinds of marsh frogs do that? or would my very pretty spotted barking marsh frogs unlikely to cross breed with other type of marshies? (the tabpoles were different colour and different look to the other kind so I really dont think they were the same. I still dont know what kind of marsh tabpoles I got from pet store).

David De Angelis
frog
frog

Postby David De Angelis » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:41 pm

Rounding off the belated replies...

As far as I can tell hybridisation has never been documented between Lim. fletcheri and tasmaniensis or any other Limnodynastes species, although southern and northern call races and northern and western call races of Lim. tasmaniensis interbreed with eachother (Dale Roberts' 1976 PhD).

The subspecies of Lim. dumerilii are also known to interbreed where their ranges overlap.

Given more hybrid zones are being discovered though, it wouldn't necessarily be surprising if some turned up within Limnodynastes.

David.

Return to “Think Tank”