Deafening Silence

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

keychange
spawn
spawn

Deafening Silence

Postby keychange » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:14 am

We live 15 kms from Dorrigo, lots of forests and streams around. About 5 years ago I dug a pond about 8 metres x 2 metres and between 30cm & 80cm deep in our 2 acre native garden.

Initially it was too successful as its only about 1o metres from our bedroom but we soon got used to it and welcomed the chorus. We have our own name for some of the calls eg: the Cobbler frog -sounds like an elven cobbler hammering nails into a leather sole or the Barking frog sounds just like a distant dog barking. We also have green tree, stuttering and lots of sedge frogs.

Last night I was awoken by the silence, not a chirp for hours - how can they all go silent? Even the nearby creek appeared silent. I checked the pond this morning and certainly some froglets and taddies but not as many as would expect at this time of year.

tropicbreeze
frog
frog

Postby tropicbreeze » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:02 pm

I understand your part of the world is a bit drier than normal, perhaps that's what's affected the frogs. When the rains come here the roar of the frogs is deafening. But when there's a break in the monsoon some nights you could hear a pin drop. Of course in the dry season no frog chorus or sounds for months, apart from the odd Green Tree Frog. But that's not a croak, it's usually a screech for help when they get into trouble.

keychange
spawn
spawn

Postby keychange » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:17 am

Yes it has been dry for us by this time of year we would normally have 500mm at least but YTD is closer to 50mm

Last night they were back, not in full chorus but certainly some frog song. The night before was eerie - I don't ever remember it being so silent. The only noise was the antechinus frolicking on our flat tin roof :)

Return to “Think Tank”