Red bubble on Green Tree Frog

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Kerilou
spawn
spawn

Red bubble on Green Tree Frog

Postby Kerilou » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:48 pm

We have a few green tree frogs that live near our house on our property in the Northern Rivers, so we know their call. Last night, we were disturbed around midnight by a strange noise outside, twice - almost of screech. The 2nd time we got up to investigate and we found a large green tree frog hanging off the lip of a water filled bucket. It had a red bubble on the side of it's back, lower down, which expanded and then subsided as we watched. It jumped away when it saw us.

I wasn't going to try to take a photo and thereby point out to any predator where it's dinner was.

Does anyone know what this red bubble would be? :?: I was quite distressed for the frog but didn't want to frighten it any more than it was.

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:49 pm

I'm not sure, there are a whole range of diseases affecting frogs. I guess it could have been an injury or parasite? But it's really hard to say.

If you happen to see it again pop it in a clean ice cream container with air holes and a little bit of rain water (not tap water). Also to be safe wear gloves. Then just post on here again and someone will be able to help. There is a charity named Frog Safe (aka FDR) based in QLD that researches frog diseases. They would be interested and able to help as well.

http://www.frogsafe.org.au/about_fdr/fr ... ital.shtml

Kerilou
spawn
spawn

Postby Kerilou » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks Sean. If I see it again, I'll try your suggestion. But I fear, given the shrieks that we heard before we found it, that it was injured. I will be trying to find it each night though.

Return to “Think Tank”