Frogs vision

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Michigan
tadpole
tadpole

Frogs vision

Postby Michigan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:16 pm

Does anyone know what sort of vision frogs have? I was wondering if they see us humans as all the same shape or can they recognise faces of those who feed them etc?
It sounds strange but we were having dinner tonight when a piece of food got caught in my throat & when I started coughing to dislodge it, we heard this huge splash & looked at the Perons tank to see Bungee - sitting on the thermometer, one foot on the front glass, peering out at me like he was checking to see that I was OK.... LOL it was so cute, but got me wondering what they see when they look at us?

Kristyy
frog
frog

Postby Kristyy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:32 am

I wonder the same.
I know mine know my voice but do wonder what they see.

Ps, Glad you didn't choke : )

Michigan
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Michigan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:52 am

Gee thanks :lol:

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:13 pm

My frogs can't seem to tell the difference between mealworms and my finger!
I must say though, me and my perons have some pretty intense staring competitions and the other day, Splat WINKED at me;) SOOO cute:)

Michigan
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Michigan » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:10 pm

Yeah Alex mine make me laugh the three of them will turn to stare at me, kind of creepy sometimes - what are they planning? an escape? attack of the frogs? haha
Love the name Splat....thats cute.... My Perons are Bungee, Lone Pine & John Hoppawahtay :wink:

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:20 am

Haha, thanks. Splat got his (or her, not quite sure) name when I first got him--I was trying to move him to his new tank but he just kept leaping out of my hands and going SPLAT on the ground! I often hear that sound against the glass walls of their tank in the middle of the night. My other perons names are Speckles, Squirt and Squish. I kinda went with an 's' theme:)
Your froggies have cute and rather creative names:) frog naming is quite fun and there are plenty of weird and wonderful names to choose from:)

Michigan
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Michigan » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:44 pm

thanks Alex, yeah it is fun thinking of creative names for frogs. I also have 3 DTFs but have yet to name them - they're not very active even when they're not hibernating :mrgreen:

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:48 pm

I've been naming my most recent froggies after friends--weird I know but there is a long queue if u want a frog in your namesake:) (and just for the record we are not middle aged people--still @ school, lol)

~heket~
frog
frog

Postby ~heket~ » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:36 pm

Making me feel silly about my froggies names... Og, Rog and Borris :3

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:42 pm

Don't feel silly, they're cool names:)
I feel kind of sorry for the poor frog I named Boof. He was my first ever frog, too. hope they call him a nicer name in Froggy heaven:)

Michigan
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Michigan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Hey Heket love those names....especially Boris

Alex RIP Boof, what happened to him?

Litoria Alex
frog
frog

Postby Litoria Alex » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Poor Boof. In winter 2010, around the time we had a cold snap, Boof, Freddo and Puddles suddenly died within a few days of each other. So sad. Amazing thing was, Raya ha been living with them all their lives (I raised them from taddies) and he is still alive today--a proud father too. There were no obvious signs as to cause of death In the other three but my Raya is a bit of a miracle, I like to say:)
Yeah, I think Borris certainly is one cool Froggy name, heket:)

~heket~
frog
frog

Postby ~heket~ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:39 pm

XD Thanks, poor Boof :'(

Return to “Think Tank”