Is it legal in Tasmania??

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

~heket~
frog
frog

Is it legal in Tasmania??

Postby ~heket~ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:29 am

Hey,

I've released over 60 baby SBTF's after finding the two spawns in a drying ditch.... I now have around 25 left with green spotting and was wondeirng if it's legal to sell wild spwaned frogs in Tazzy? It's legal to catch them for yourself (conditions on species and numbers ovbiously) so they have lived their whole life in captivity. I figured it'd be better buying frog's that have never known anything other than captivity than going and catching wild ones.

Gulper
frog
frog

No

Postby Gulper » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi Heket, no it is not legal in Tasmania. Frogs are protected fauna and I do not believe you are legally able to trade them or their parts. SBTFs are known carriers of Chytrid, and even if they do not show symptoms moving them about risks spreading the disease. If you sell wild-caught frogs without proper veterinary screening there is a substantial risk that you could end up spreading the disease to someone else's collection, aside from the legal side of things. Sorry to rain on your parade, best to release them where you found the taddies and let them take their chances with nature (which are already much improved).

On a brighter note if you're in Hobart on the 8th of january I'll be doing a reptile/frog/ecology walk as part of the Hobart City Council Bush Adventures- you can pick my brains then!

~heket~
frog
frog

Postby ~heket~ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks Gulper, Yeah I will release them. I stood in the park with a tank off over 60frogs telling them to be free while keeping a sharp eye for Plovers. Annoying buggers Plovers are, the minute I left the spot they started comming back so I recon I sat there for atleast two hours with them, I got a wet ass sitting in the marsh but I gave them a chance to hide a bit more lol.

Return to “Think Tank”