Do cane toad traps attract frogs?

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

chrisandtom
tadpole
tadpole

Do cane toad traps attract frogs?

Postby chrisandtom » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:29 pm

If cane toad traps work with a light that attracts insects, which in turn attract cane toads, what's stopping frogs from ending up in the trap? Is close contact with cane toads detrimental to frogs (apart from the fact that they might get eaten, if they are small enough)?
Christina

anastasia courtney
frog
frog

Postby anastasia courtney » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:05 am

It would almost certainly attract frogs as well. Cane toads have toxic glands a little behind their eyes which the secrete and it will cover there whole body. As frogs absorb a lot of things through there skin close contact with cane toads could kill them.
I suppose all you can do is check the traps regularly, perhaps if you bath any frogs caught in fresh water (that has been sitting for a few days) to hopefully wash any of the toxins off them.
Make sure you are absolutely certain what a cane toad looks like, there are a number of native australian frogs that are often mistaken for cane toads and killed. There are normally organisations around that will take any captured cane toads off your hands and kill them humanly.

chrisandtom
tadpole
tadpole

Postby chrisandtom » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks Anastasia!
I think, I'll stick to catching the odd toad by hand- safer for the frogs. There are no frogs up here that could be mistaken for toads.
Christina

Return to “Think Tank”