Mixophyes coggeri eggs

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

chrisandtom
tadpole
tadpole

Mixophyes coggeri eggs

Postby chrisandtom » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:16 pm

We've had 340mm of glorious rain since Tuesday (the frogs knew about the change in the weather days before and started calling) . The barred frogs along the flooded creek where quiet (not the best time for depositing eggs),but the Mixophyes coggeri around the pond had a great time, and, to our delight, made use of the rocks, that we had placed around the shadier corner for exactly that purpose!
I noticed, that a few eggs had ended up in the water and turned whitish (also other tadpoles were eating them). Do these eggs die in the water? How much drying out can the ones on rocks and vegetation withstand?
Christina
Attachments
Mixophyes eggs, 1st day_1_1.jpg

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Postby UuserMeLiam » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:25 pm

I think the eggs will be fine as they do this in the wild (obviously) without anycare eg. spraying water , spashing water ...

You can keep an eye on them just incase they do become dry.. but i think after a period of time and the eggs begin to dry out the taddies will probably drop out into the water before they become dry.

:) Hope i could help

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:19 am

Great stuff,

How exciting to see this. I don't think there are many observations of the breeding biology of the Mixophyes in FNQ. The Mixophyes usually kick their eggs out of the water onto the banks or overhanging ledges presumably to keep them out of harms way. With all the rain you've had and will continue to have I think the eggs should be fine and they should hatch.

chrisandtom
tadpole
tadpole

Mixophyes coggeri eggs

Postby chrisandtom » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:57 am

It was a very successful time for frogs. We now have eggs of 4 species in/around the pond: Mixophyes coggeri, Litoria gracilenta, Litoria lesueuri and Limnodynastes peronii.. Would the white-lipped and common green tree frogs lay their eggs in the pond, too? I think the creek would be too fast flowing.
Christina

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:27 am

Yes the White-lipped and Green Tree Frogs would more likely breed in the pond than the creek. But by the sounds of it, the pond is getting crowded! :)

The tadpoles of the White-lips are quite distinctive amongst Australian frogs, I have a photo of one from near Townsville.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23031163@N03/4116460025/

chrisandtom
tadpole
tadpole

Postby chrisandtom » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:14 pm

Hi Aaron!
Thanks for the link, that tadpole should be easy to identify (at least when you're swimming next to it).
Christina

chrisandtom
tadpole
tadpole

Postby chrisandtom » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:42 am

Not just getting crowded in the pond, on the rocks, too!
Christina
Attachments
getting crowded on the rocks.jpg

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Postby UuserMeLiam » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:15 pm

Awww so cute, i wish i had frogs in my yard XD

chrisandtom
tadpole
tadpole

Postby chrisandtom » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Sad news about the barred frog eggs: most of them looked fine on day 5, but the dry spell meant that most of them had shrivelled up by day 6. I saved a few, that were attached to a Heliconia leaf, and kept them in a bucket of water until day 7, when 7 tadpoles hatched. They are now enjoying the pond.
Identified one of the new frog calls as Lithoria rothii, a species we have seen here a few times.
Christina

Return to “Think Tank”