different stony creek frogs

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

chrisandtom
tadpole
tadpole

different stony creek frogs

Postby chrisandtom » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:03 am

Just found out that Litoria lesueuri has been split up into 3 species. So here in North Queensland we would have L.jungguy or L.wilcoxi? Do their distributions overlap or might we have both in Kuranda?
We have so many different species of frogs in our garden, we'd like to share our experiences with other frog enthusiasts, what is the best forum for that (does anyone read the newcomer's section?).
Christina and Thomas

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:53 pm

We're always interested to hear peoples experiences with frogs but this forum has been fairly quiet for a while now but there is bursts of activity every now and then! If you have photos of the frogs in the garden I'd enjoy seeing them. I'll be up around Kuranda in November photographing frogs, you're lucky to live in the Wet Tropics!

Aaron

chrisandtom
tadpole
tadpole

Postby chrisandtom » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:24 pm

I'll be posting a short introduction as a frog community newcomer soon, but meanwhile, if you like to see some of my frog photos, have a look at our frog page: www.kurandabirdwatcherscabin.com.au/frogs.htm
There also is a list of the species seen on our property.
Maybe you can tell me whether I misidentified the 'inflated-deflated' orange thighed tree frogs at the top and they are , in fact, dainty green tree frogs?
We definitely have both species here. Is there an easy way to tell the difference between them (apart from their calls)?
You're welcome to have a look around our garden when you are in the tropics in November, there certainly are many opportunities for good frog photos. We can also describe a great location for Litoria nannotis, if you are interested.

Christina

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi Christina,

I had a look at the photos and you have a great array of frogs there. The frog at the top is a Dainty Tree Frog (Litoria gracilenta). They can be distinguished from the Orange-thighed Frog (Litoria xanthomera) by the lack of orange thighs as well as the faint yellow stripe that goes from the nostril over and past the eye.

Aaron

Return to “Think Tank”