can frog cross breed?

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

joe green
metamorphling
metamorphling

can frog cross breed?

Postby joe green » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:19 am

i was wondering if anyone knows weather frogs from similar species can cross breed?

anastasia courtney
frog
frog

Postby anastasia courtney » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:57 am

It is theoretically possible, however the offspring will be infertile.
It is more likely to occur in species that do not naturally occur in the same area, otherwise there would be lots of infertile hybrids in the wild, which in terms of increasing an individuals fitness (evolutionary fitness not more stamina) is counterproductive. They will have developed means for preventing hybridisation such as different mating 'techniques' timing or conditions required for mating. Whereas species that don't naturally meet in the wild have no need to develop these things so if artificially put together may be able to mate.

An example is the Red and the Grey kangaroo, one occurs in the south and the other in the north so would never naturally meet. But in captivity they are able to cross bread.

MrFordEL
frog
frog

Postby MrFordEL » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:57 pm

Now that's funny,

My girlfriend and i were talking about this on the way back from picking SBTF taddies up and i couldn't answer that question haha

Hope on here and its a post now haha.

joe green
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby joe green » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:25 pm

It is a question alot of people ask hey... Thanks for the info AC it was exactly what i was thinking. Wonder if there is anyone out there that has seen it happen??

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Postby Marshie Man » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:45 pm

It isnt really a good think joe green. In america they have lots of pythons that have cross breeded and now their biodiversity in some areas 'is screwed'

Although in captivity it would be pretty cool.

Also, is there a difference in the 'northern race' of marhies and the southern race' (l. tasmaniensis)

Alex

joe green
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby joe green » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:07 pm

Your right about it being bad in the environment marshie but i was thinking in captivity it would be way cool. Not sure about the marsh frogs though, think they would be the same maybe.

anastasia courtney
frog
frog

Postby anastasia courtney » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:53 pm

when you say 'northern race' of marshies do you mean l. peroni? If so they are different species one is the 'striped marsh frog' the other is the 'spotted marsh frog.'

Gulper
frog
frog

Postby Gulper » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:25 pm

The trouble with being "cool" in captivity and bad in the environment is that cool captives can and do escape into the environment, leading to all sorts of biodiversity issues.. If you want fancy-looking frogs, play with Photoshop, not genetics.

I'm more curious about whether frogs cross-dress.

Return to “Think Tank”