danger to gtf's from cane toads

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

stephiggs
spawn
spawn

danger to gtf's from cane toads

Postby stephiggs » Wed May 14, 2008 2:50 pm

I am wondering about the danger of releasing my gtf's with the presence of cane toad in my garden. I plan on keeping the frogs secure until they are too big to be considered a snack for other creatures (we have blue tongue lizards, the occasional carpet snake and many birds visiting our yard) but do cane toads pose a threat to gtf's even when they are too big to be eaten? I remove any toads I find and look out for them daily.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Wed May 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Adult GTFs won't be hurt by Cane Toads. The major problem is competition with the thousands of tadpoles. Most juveniles go into the trees once they have morphed, so it isn't a huge issue. Still occurs, but not that common.

Are you releasing frogs that you caught as taddies from your property?

Evan

stephiggs
spawn
spawn

Postby stephiggs » Wed May 14, 2008 6:42 pm

Hi thanks for responding The tadpoles were from one of my neighbours - they have been collecting gtf tadpoles they find in their swimming pool for years. I have set up an area where i am hoping my frogs will thrive and start producing their own colony (if that's the right word)

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Wed May 14, 2008 7:29 pm

Cool, that's great. And great work with removing Cane Toads every night.

Evan

Return to “Think Tank”