is it stealing if the frog comes to me?

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

climbin-chik
tadpole
tadpole

is it stealing if the frog comes to me?

Postby climbin-chik » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:30 pm

is it considered stealing from the wild when i find a frog in my outside tank, let it back out and find it there again?
i have a tank out on my verandah with 3 marsh frogs and 2 blue mountain tree frogs already, and i keep on finding another bluie tree frog in there or sitting on top of the tank, do i just keep it and let it in the tank? or should i keep letting it go?
just in case if you are wondering how it gets in in the first place i have lose fly screen netting and glass on the top of the tank, not compltely secure yet as i only put the tank together 2 weeks ago, no escapees.

cheers kat

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:09 pm

You need to make your tank much more secure. It is a disease risk to have a wild frog coming in and out of the tank. For both the wild population and your captive frog. I don't know what you should do with the wild frog, I'd recommend keeping it there so you don't infect the wild population (others should give their opinion on this). But you really need to secure the tank so that you have control over what comes in and out.

Thanks,

Evan

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:47 pm

Yeah I agree with Evan if it comes in contact with your frogs it shouldn't be allowed to come in contact with others. BUt yeah you must make the tank more secure, captive frogs shouldn't be able to come in contact with wild frogs.

climbin-chik
tadpole
tadpole

Postby climbin-chik » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:17 pm

i found he came back again last night, this morning i completely secured the tank so nothing is getting in or out without my knowing

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:55 pm

That's great to hear, and thanks for working so quickly on it. :D

Evan

climbin-chik
tadpole
tadpole

Postby climbin-chik » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:01 pm

one more thing, i wouldn't mind asking...i just put 2 of my 1 yr old marshies into my big tank, about a week or two ago...except kinda just found out one is a female, i now have a rather large amount of eggs in the tank and don't really know what to do. do i try and take out the eggs or leave them there? the tank is rather big but i don't think there is enough water for all those eggs if they hatch. should i leave the female there or take her out again to another tank?
please help

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:05 pm

you should move the eggs into a seperate tank

climbin-chik
tadpole
tadpole

Postby climbin-chik » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:18 pm

thanks heaps, what about the female?

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:19 pm

Na theres no need to move it

climbin-chik
tadpole
tadpole

Postby climbin-chik » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:10 pm

thanks for that, i've moved the eggs into one of the ponds i have in my backyard.
they should be fine in there i've seen multiple taddies grow up in most of them, at the moment i have a mix of stripped marsh tadpoles and something else (anyone know a tree frog with pure black taddies? cause thats what i have, but didn't know bluies breed at this time of year) in one at the moment, they seem to be eating everything in there though, especially my water lillies which they all seem to love so much when they become morphlings but there won't be any left.
but everyone in all tanks and ponds seem to be fine and friendly. thanks for your help

kat

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:18 pm

Kat, where did the "parents" come from?
If you got these from anywhere but your backyard then you need to collect the spawn again ASAP.
You can't release captive breed.

I will get some links to the laws in your state.

Ann

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:19 pm

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:40 am

Yes if the spawn was from your pet frogs you can't put it in your backyard.

climbin-chik
tadpole
tadpole

Postby climbin-chik » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:10 pm

they both originally came from my backyard, and both were injuries, one got half one of its back legs taken by something when it was still a jouvie, found it in a pretty bad state and nursed it back, but i really didn't think it would be fit to go back out into the wild, not with only 3 legs... and the other one only has one eye now, found him as well, with a good vet he was all stitched up, but he said he didn't think he would survive with only one eye, so i kept him.
is it still ok to keep the spawn out there? knowing they both came from that pond (or one of the others) themselves?

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:23 pm

Have you mixed the wild caught frogs with any captive frogs?

Evan

climbin-chik
tadpole
tadpole

Postby climbin-chik » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:11 pm

no, i have three tanks, all wild ones in one, then another tall one for my tree frogs, and a longer one for my ground ones

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:19 pm

If they are wild frogs then you shouldn't be keeping them.

climbin-chik
tadpole
tadpole

Postby climbin-chik » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:57 pm

the only wild ones i have are from injuries that have been given to me cause someone else can't take care of them, or i have found injured myself... i wouldn't just take wild frogs out of their natural habitat if i didn't consider there to be a reason... i don't need to, i have plenty of my own already, and i would prefer to see alot of frogs like i already do, in my backyard free to come and go as they please, doing their own thing.

Return to “Think Tank”