Frogs hate ants

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

janea
tadpole
tadpole

Frogs hate ants

Postby janea » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:17 pm

The Brown Tree frogs in our dog's pond hate ants. I wanted to attact more insects to the pond by placing a raw piece of chicken at the edge of the pond. Hundreds of ants found the chicken and a few explored onto the Mondo Grass and rocks where frogs were waiting.

A few frogs saw the ants and immediately headed for them but stopped short of eating them and instead just watched the ants for awhile. But a few of the frogs ate an ant,. one frog ate the ant and then started hopping around frantically,.. another larger baby frog ate an ant and seemed okay with it,. until another ant walked over the frogs eye. The frog jumped off and kept scratching his eye with his back foot,. than he swam to the other side of the pool.

A very small frog had the same experience when an ant got on his eye,. the frog flipped off the rock into the water, again seeming frantic,. almost like the ant bit the frogs eye.

These ants are tiny little ants that obviously like meat, we have them in our house sometimes and they do eat dead insects.

I tossed the piece of chicken into the bushes and washed the remaining ants off the Mondo Grass and off the pond so hopefully they won't come back! I actually thought the frogs would eat these tiny ants but they're afraid of them it seems.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:37 pm

There are a few frogs which eat ants, but they have special adaptations to prevent the ants from killing them. The Crucifix Frog has a glue it excretes, which glues the mouth of the ant to the frog's skin and they die. When the frog sheds, and eats, its skin, he gets a meal of ants.

Otherwise, most frogs will avoid them as much as possible. Ants are extremely dangerous when it comes to small animals. I doubt the black ants could kill a larger frog, but the larger ants certainly could.

Evan

janea
tadpole
tadpole

Postby janea » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:28 pm

Thanks Evan. I doubled checked to make sure there are no ants in the pond. It's funny how they just seem to know that ants are dangerous.

Return to “Think Tank”