How long till they croak?

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

gtsteve
frog
frog

How long till they croak?

Postby gtsteve » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:43 pm

No not die . I've had a few different frogs breed in my ponds in my yard over the years, and I hear different frogs calling from my lush garden and neighbours gardens, some of which have ponds too. But I don't know if they are likely to be recent metamorphs from my ponds, or from last year or from a neighbour? I suppose that they vary. What are your guess's for (1) Crinea sig. (2) Limno per (3) Litoria per and (4) Lit fallax? Steve[/b]

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:05 pm

Litoria fallax take a year. I'd guess Lit. peronii are about 2. Crinia I have no idea, but it would probably be a year. I've heard that Lim. tasmaniensis can start breeding within weeks (under great conditions) of metamorphosis. So this may be true for Lim. peronii too.

These are all greatly variable, and males will even call occasionally when they aren't mature (kind of like a practice).

Evan

Return to “Think Tank”