Why do smaller tadpoles grow legs first?

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

janea
tadpole
tadpole

Why do smaller tadpoles grow legs first?

Postby janea » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:43 am

I have 100's of tadpoles in a pond in our fernery,. the small tadpoles have grown legs and arms before the larger ones,. just wondering why that is?

Also, I have a variety of tadpole sizes. Some are still very small tadpoles, some are very large without legs.. some are large with tiny legs.. but the only one's hopping and sitting on the log out of water are small to medium sized tadpoles.

Are the males and females different sizes, is it possible that another breed of frog has laid eggs in the same pond? Also, I've just noticed a huge batch of fresh frogs eggs in another pond. I don't know what we're going to do with so many frogs on our 1/4 acre lot. We have heaps of native bush plants and a fernery.

j

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:06 pm

They are probably different species. Eg, Crinia (a very small tad) will develop faster than a Limnodynastes (a very large tad).

janea
tadpole
tadpole

Postby janea » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Thank you. Will the larger tads eat the small frogs? The little frogs are starting to hop out of the pond.. they are sooo teeny, I can't see how they will survive on their own. Maybe I should contact frogs australia or something to see what to do with all of them.

The small frogs are a cream colour while the large tads are dark brown with red on their stomachs.

Cheers j

Return to “Think Tank”