100's of Tadpoles in our pool

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

janea
tadpole
tadpole

100's of Tadpoles in our pool

Postby janea » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:18 pm

Hi everyone, I have a bit of a problem. We noticed 100's of tadpoles in our dogs plastic pool and I'm not sure how to keep them alive. I would also like to know where to release them when they grow legs.

I'll try to get a photo of them for you for identification.

Cheers

Janea

janea
tadpole
tadpole

Postby janea » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:00 pm

photo's

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:52 pm

Your pics didn't show up? There is plenty of information on raising tadpoles on this forum, just try and search and that'll dig something up for you. You should release the frogs at the cloeset suitable water body to your place.

janea
tadpole
tadpole

tads

Postby janea » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:59 am

Thank you for the information. I don't know why my photo's won't show up, any clues? I'm wondering if the tadpoles are Cane Toads or some other frog that is invasive.. what if I release them at Mt Macedon (lake) and they all turn out to be Cane Toads? How can I tell a frog pole,. from a toad pole?

I can send the photos to another account if someone wantst o look at them.

janea
tadpole
tadpole

Postby janea » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:14 am

janea
tadpole
tadpole

photos

Postby janea » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:15 am

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:19 am

Haha, a wine glass, I love it.

They aren't Cane Toads, and we don't really have any other invasive frogs. Except for a couple natives which have been introduced to other parts of the country and survived, but that's quite rare.

How big is this lake? It is much better to release them to a small water body, as large ones will have predatory fish.

Evan

janea
tadpole
tadpole

lake

Postby janea » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:38 am

Hi Evan, it's more like a small pond at Mt Macedon. I thought I would wait until they can climb out of the water before releasing them, does that make sense? The thing is, I have no idea how I'm going to catch them all!

I just dropped lettuce (prefrozen) into the pool and they LOVED it,. they seem very hungry. I also noticed that a few larger tads came to the surface to eat so there are small and larger tads.

Has anyone else found so many tadpoles in their dogs pool? Also, the pool is full of rain water right now but it may evaporate, can I put water from the tap into the pool? Apparently, we have chorine in the water here.

Thanks again!

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:53 am

Just make sure that you top it up after it has only evaporated a bit. If you refill the entire pool with chlorinated water that can kill the tadpoles. However, if you put in a little it is too low concentration to harm them and the chlorine will dissipate in the sun.

If you are going to wait until they morph to release them, it is better to just let them go their own way in your garden. Once they are frogs, they won't be using the pool anymore.

Also, it may be worthwhile creating a pond in your garden so they have somewhere else to breed. I think someone else has recently posted about tadpoles in their dog pool. They ended up getting another pool for the dogs and leaving the tadpoles to theirs.

Evan

janea
tadpole
tadpole

tads

Postby janea » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:32 pm

Thanks for that Evan. Maybe I will just let them go around here, I suppose there is a reason the eggs were laid here. As for the water, I will add a little tonight and take another photo.

I put lettuce in the pool and they gobbled it up, it was so cute to watch them form little teams and push the lettuce bits around the pool.

Cheers!

Return to “Think Tank”