info on Lirotia raniformis in tas

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

cinny
tadpole
tadpole

info on Lirotia raniformis in tas

Postby cinny » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:16 pm

Hi
I'm very excited as I have just spotted L.raniformis in my pond. Info around here says they are rare and a threatened species.
Can anyone give me more info? Specifically - When am I likely to see the egg mass? What will it look like? What can I do to encourage them to breed etc to help survival? Where do they take shelter when threatened and in the colder months? Diet?
Thanks for your help!

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:02 pm

Hi Cinny,

That's great news to hear. Yes, they are an endangered, and the decline has also occured in Tasmania. According to the IUCN redlist, they are almost completely absent from the midlands.

http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php/12152/all

Could you post a photo of them? They will lay eggs in spring/summer. The eggs are pretty inconspicuous, but you should notice the tadpoles which can get quite large (later in the season).

Evan

cinny
tadpole
tadpole

Postby cinny » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:20 pm

hey great thanks,
i'll have a detailed look at the link you mentioned later.
I'll attach a photo we got,... i was thrilled to see it as i had only just thought i had heard it call the previous day
i only hope there are more so breeding will be successful!
Attachments
litoria raniformis.JPG

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:22 pm

That's really great, beautiful and fat frog. I would recommend telling National Parks. I doubt they will do anything, but it would be good for them to know another location of the species.

Where do you live?

Evan

cinny
tadpole
tadpole

Postby cinny » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:40 pm

Okay, yes I was thinking of contacting DPIWE or National Parks
i live in Port Sorell and there are wildlife groups around here that will probably know about the froggies. I know there is an identified population just accross the river from me in the Narawntapu National Park, and awarenes in this area (I've seen a sign at the local primary school).
thanks for replying!

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:54 pm

Check out the sign at the local primary school to see who they want you to contact.

Evan

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:25 pm

Great photo! and beautiful frog. Congrats!, I was really happy when I first saw some "in the wild".
Ann

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:47 pm

That is really great news, there is great concern over this species, it has declined across much of its range, I was in Tas a couple years ago and I was lucky enough to find one (at the Tamar River). Hopefully they will breed this season and you could soon have a thriving population at your place. Spawn is likely to be laid within the next few months and will look like a clear jelly clump with black dots in it, chances are you won't see it as it sinks. If the frogs are already there it means they like the place and you probably don't need to do anything to improve it.

cinny
tadpole
tadpole

Postby cinny » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:36 pm

thanks all!
I've just been out and spotted him again. It seems to be the same one. My main concern is that there may not be any more! (It has been very dry here up until this autumn just been). But I guess you are right - if one is happy here there may be more. there are other ponds/dams/water bodies in the area, hopefully enough to sustain a strong community of them.
I'm off now and on my way I'll check what the sign says at the Primary school, if that doesn't give any info I'll try local wildlife groups, DPIWE and Parks and Wildlife!

cinny
tadpole
tadpole

Postby cinny » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:51 pm

I am devastated!
The frog is dead.
No obvious signs of why, just did not move for over 24 hours so i touched it to find it stiff and lifeless.
My only consolation is that i thought I heard another one...

:cry:
Last edited by cinny on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:52 pm

That is not good, it could be chytrid fungus, which is bad news (reason the species is in decline), are there any visble signs of sloughing skin or reddish skin?

cinny
tadpole
tadpole

Postby cinny » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:58 pm

No
All skin and markings are in tact, just duller.
There is a very small piece of very thin transparent film (wet and pliable) on him but no damage on the skin - doesn't appear to have peeled of.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:00 pm

This may sound bad, but any chance of a photo? It is important to know for sure. Its a real shame, it was such a beautiful frog.

cinny
tadpole
tadpole

Postby cinny » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:17 pm

Does this give you any clues?
The photo won't be great as I took it!
Attachments
dead.JPG

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:28 pm

Chytrid is really hard to tell, but I would think that was the cause. She was fat, and looked healthy so I can't think of it being anything else. The sloughing of the skin is the transperent layer on the top, the skin looks healthy otherwise (with chytrid cases).

Have you heard any others calling since that first time?

Evan

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:25 pm

Yeah it is hard to tell, but from my experience that does look like chytrid. The best thing you can do to prevent further problems becuase of this, is not move frogs or tadpoles, or even water from you ponds to other sites or from other sites to your pond. Hopefully the population nearby is large enough to survive with chytrid. Please keep us informed if you see anymore Lit. raniformis (or other species) in your backyard or if there is any breeding activity. Also you should definaltey report this to the DPIWE and Parks and Wildlife.

Cheers,
Grant

cinny
tadpole
tadpole

Postby cinny » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:40 pm

bummer
I just did a quick little research online.
will talk to Parks and Wildlife
and see if I can get hold of someone from the "central north field naturalists" who are researching chytrid
also chatted to a nieghbour from down the road who says she gets them at her place too

I think I have heard another call today - just a brief call amongst the other species! (I have identified 6 species in our dam including the green and gold frog) I will head out later tonight and listen again.

if it is chytrid, I hope it doesn't impact too badly
I just love the frogs!

cinny
tadpole
tadpole

Postby cinny » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:42 pm

p.s. a cold night wouldn't have caused it would it?

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:51 pm

Hi again,

As I said in the PM that I sent you chytrid fungus thrives in cold conditions, however a cold night alone is unlikely to have knocked out the frog. Yes well if there are enough surviving frogs around your area, the more chance for the population to survive, chytrid has been in TAS for at least 2 years and its biggest impact is within a few months of first arriving in the area, if the frogs can survive the initial impact of it, then the higher the chance they will continue to survive. Again please continue to monitor the siutation over the frog season.

Cheers,
Grant

cinny
tadpole
tadpole

Postby cinny » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:59 pm

Thanks Grant for taking the time to give me the info.
I'll keep informed
I'm quite passionate about wildlife, fauna and flora, especially since moving to this area where there is way more than I expected!!!
would love to try to make a difference!

Return to “Think Tank”