L.Aurea and L.Raniformis

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Didiman
frog
frog

L.Aurea and L.Raniformis

Postby Didiman » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:12 pm

As these two species can interbreed, would their offspring produce a unique call of itself or would it lean more to one of the two. Knowing that the two have similar calls, could they even do both?

Cheers.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:38 pm

Seeing their calls are basically exactly the same I think it would sound like either one of them, or something unique, if you ever come across a hybrid record its call so we can find out.

Greg, Adelaide
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Greg, Adelaide » Mon May 21, 2007 3:17 pm

Sorry to nitpick, but their calls are actually pretty different.
aureas sound more like a crow or ravens call that does a few grunts at the end, while raniformis sound more like a pig grunting or a strangled duck or something. There should be some sound files around with their calls somewhere. (At least that's the raniformis in SA)
Ive heard both species quite a few times, both in the field and captivity.

As to hybridisation who knows? any herp experts with knowledge of the genetics of premating stuff, please add comments. Id really like to know the answer to this one. (or any informed speculation)

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Mon May 21, 2007 7:48 pm

Well if thats your idea of very different then ok :roll: but I've only heard raniformis once (and was only for about 30 sec) and aurea heaps of times and I thought they sounded fairly similar, but yeah a 30 second wild sample probably isn't enough to get a really good idea of what they sound like.

Greg, Adelaide
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Greg, Adelaide » Tue May 22, 2007 2:50 pm

The calls are definitely distinct enough to identify them separately in the field if the need arose.

It's that long high, drawn out moan that aureas have as the middle part of their call that really gives it away.

Maybe i listen to too many frogs though :)

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:38 am

hm I just wanted to say aurea has one of the loveliest frog call I have heard (thats my personal opinion) and i often hear it during summer frogging in newcastle - quite nice when there are many ponds and they all call at different times - bit like a disorganised chorus !

I hope to see or come across raniformis sometime during frogging trip down to Mildura from newcastle in nov..

Return to “Think Tank”