Croaking already?

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Didiman
frog
frog

Croaking already?

Postby Didiman » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:08 pm

Last night while i was watching the ODI against Australia and England i thought i heard croaking coming from my frog enclosure. I muted the tv and sure enough one of my frogs (L.Aurea) was going off, but then stopped all of a sudden. I was surprised how loud it was, though more surprised that they are only 1yr old. I've read that they take 2-3 yrs to reach maturity, does that mean they start croaking before this to get some practice in?:P

This may sound stupid, but what a rush hearing your frogs croak for the first time! :lol:
Last edited by Didiman on Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:35 pm

Yeah Litoria aurea start calling when they are still quite young. It does not mean it is a proper mating call, but yes it could be a practice type call.

Didiman
frog
frog

Postby Didiman » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:48 pm

It is also quite hot and muggy over here at the moment, which might of set him off aswell. Or maybe he was excited about the cricket!

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:56 pm

Why would you be excited about the cricket? It was a bloody boring game (except for the injury, poor bastard). Can't wait 'till we play you guys, then it won't be boring cricket, at least I hope.

Didiman
frog
frog

Postby Didiman » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:46 am

haha... i was more excited about my frog croakn than the actual game! Watchn you guys bat is something else at the moment, plus the commentary is the best. Especially after listening to the new 12th Man cd, "Boned".

Go the Black Caps!!! :P

Gulper
frog
frog

There is more than one way to enjoy cricket

Postby Gulper » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:55 am

see pic.

Sorry it isn't a frog.

Didiman
frog
frog

Postby Didiman » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:01 pm

Nice one, thats a suppa catch that!

manicackel
frog
frog

Postby manicackel » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:51 pm

my green was croaking when he was 40 mils long. I dont know his true age but what does everybody reckon? :? :?:

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:18 am

Size is not the best way of determining how old a frog is, so it is likely he is just a small individual, as you can have small adult and you can have large younger frogs-some what like humans.

kikker
spawn
spawn

Postby kikker » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:39 pm

I have 3 GTFs.

I am assuming only 1 is male... and he started to croak randomly from about 4mths old... just slight little baby 'coughs' haha.

He is about 5 and 1/2 months, maybe 6.... only croaks really though when his being held...not when his flat in my palm, but when he is cupped in both hands to go back in the terrarium.

So I dont know if thats early... but a guy I know through a pet supply store said it was normal!

Return to “Think Tank”