Confuzzled white-lip

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

angel_saza
frog
frog

Confuzzled white-lip

Postby angel_saza » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:02 pm

I think my white-lip is confused....

I've moved my white-lip's tank into my bedroom, next to my computer. I have 2 different white-lip calls which i played.. with no reaction. I then played a caerulea call, which must have been recorded in a room because it's quite deep and echoey. I got a reaction to this clip from my white-lip... he sort of started 'squeaking', making little noise, but it was a definate reaction to the sound.

Now i am pretty sure i have a white lip because..

1. he came down with bananas sent from cairns
2. i had him identified by a froggy expert.
3. His bottom lip is totally white, and just underneath his jaw is starting to turn green.

I'll try to upload the file in question.. can anybody positively tell me it's a L. caerulea? The site i downloaded it from (which i cannot remember where), said the call was a caerulea. How do the larger tree frog calls differ? ie, caerulea, splendida and infrefranata

I'll try the same call with my 2 caeruleas and see if i get a reaction...

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:28 pm

That is Litoria caerulea. It has a deep, two noted call (I didn't notice the two notes until I heard Litoria splendida). Litoria splendida is very similar, but with one note, repeated many times. I have uploaded a L. splendida somewhere on this forum, do a search. The L. infrafranata call is much, much faster, higher pitched and many different notes. It is completely different, you will notice.

If the call you heard wasn't the same as the calls you have on your computer, it may have been a distress call. Maybe white lips don't like have caerulea near them.

angel_saza
frog
frog

Postby angel_saza » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:10 pm

I can't find the call anywhere.. i can't even find one doing a google search. Would you be able to post it again, or pm it to me?

With the call i uploaded, could the white-lip be reacting to that because it's fairly deep? the other 3 calls i have (1 other caerulea, and 2 white-lips) are much more high pitched than this one.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:21 pm

angel_saza
frog
frog

Postby angel_saza » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:31 pm

thanks. wow, that's really drawn out.

Return to “Think Tank”