Pronunciation of "Notaden bennetti"

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Howard Kaplan
spawn
spawn

Pronunciation of "Notaden bennetti"

Postby Howard Kaplan » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:28 pm

I've recently been reading about Notaden bennetti[i] (there appear to be variant spellings), a.k.a. the crucifix toad. This is the frog whose ant-trapping skin exudations might be developed as a new surgical glue. I would tend to put the accent on the "No" of "Notaden", but I can think of reasons why I might want to accent either the "ben" or "net" of "bennetti". (If it was named in honour of Somebody Bennett, I'd choose the first; by analogy with "spaghetti", I'd choose the second.)

I'd appreciate knowing how people who actually need to speak this species name, rather than just to write it, do pronounce it.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:46 pm

Being one who doesn't really discuss this species, I can't say. But wouldn't it be different under a Canadian accent than it would an Australian accent?

Howard Kaplan
spawn
spawn

Postby Howard Kaplan » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:44 am

Since I may be the first Canadian with any interest in speaking the name of this species, I have the opportunity to set the precedent for the Candian pronunciation. :wink:

Seriously, I doubt that this is an issue for which any Canadian-Australian-British-American-etcetrecan speech differences would be relevant. Is not one purpose of these binomial names to ensure international consistency in species identifications?

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:52 am

I'm half canadian but I don't have much of an accent, anyway I say it like No-ta-deen ben-et-i.

Howard Kaplan
spawn
spawn

Postby Howard Kaplan » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:56 am

But on which syllables do you put the accents? Do you say NO-ta-deen BEN-et-ti or No-ta-DEEN be-NET-ti or one of the other seven ways of accenting two consecutive three-syllable words?

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:00 am

um... NO-ta-deen BEN-et-i, not sure but I put the accent on NO.

I really don't think it matters that much, as people will know what you mean, even here in Australia I hear a lot of variability in the pronunciation of frog names.

rionatindal
frog
frog

Postby rionatindal » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:18 pm

hmm phontics ... drives me mad... I can't hear them being spoken so when I read lips, I tend to mimic until it felt right.

I would guess that with lipreading it seemed there would be 3 emphasis on NO-ta(very short a)-deen BEN (rolling ai)-Et-ti (short i)

so it was it for me.. as australian....

does that make any sense !!! maybe I shouldn't join this tread as it is out of my waters so to speak ! but wondered if that made any sense froma point of view of lipreading !

Riona

Return to “Think Tank”