Does temperature effect the sex of Tadpoles/Frogs

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Rosemary
tadpole
tadpole

Does temperature effect the sex of Tadpoles/Frogs

Postby Rosemary » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:31 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if temperature of an egg mass effects the eventual sex of a frog. What I mean is, are they like some marine turtles where if the eggs are laid in a beach with light coloured sand they mostly turn out male and if they are laid in a dark sand beach they are mostly female, or vice versa. I can't remember which way round it is? Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Should a batch of eggs produce about 50:50 male to female? Are frog genetics similar to us where there are x and y chromosomes? I'd be very interested to hear more....

cheers
Rosemary

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:39 pm

As far as I know temperature has no effect at determining the sex, it should be 50:50 like humans.
Cheers,
Grant

Edgee
frog
frog

Postby Edgee » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:46 am

Isn't it the same with snakes as it is with crocs.
If their eggs are kept at, i think, 27deg, they're female.
25 deg or lower male.
Something like that.
Maybe a reptile thing.
Should get Ann to ask her reptile friends.

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:27 am

My thick tail seems to be gravid so doing some research and they have 50:50 with the two eggs evreytime.
From everything I have read temp doesnt affect the sex in most reps, but I will check around.
Ann

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:50 am

Been looking around and this topic seems to be hotly debated in the Herp world, with no real solution. The general consensus seems to be that in most cases that temp doesn't determine sex ratio. Although in some specific animals it is proven to do so.

Tadpoles: basically there is no conclusion as you cant determine the sex at this stage.

Anyway that's what Mr. Google seems to be saying on the subject!
Ann

Rosemary
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Rosemary » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:44 pm

Thanks for that. I was curious and it seems that time will tell. Maybe we need some kind of breed book to see which frogs have bred with who. Yes I can see it... 20 yrs down the track there are froggy shows with best in show going to...... Best call..... largest egg mass.... longest jump...

Opps I've not had much sleep lately... Fires out here in ever sunny Bathurst have been the thing over the last couple of weeks.

What I meant to say was, it seems that often there are lots of males available but not too many females and I wondered if the was someway to swing the balance. Not that it is something I would do, just curious... I'm not even breeding them.

Edgee
frog
frog

Postby Edgee » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:24 am

I would bet that it because people get sick of the males calling and sell them off but keep the females.
Not me, but I can see how it would happen.

Return to “Think Tank”