Victorian Frog Calls on CD

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:53 am

Thats a good point, but there must be some sort of compromise that could be reached??? Mabye making a short, low quality, call recording on the internet to download, when if you buy the CD you get a good quailty full length call recording.

ZoZo
frog
frog

Postby ZoZo » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:17 am

If you had a short, low-quality recording would you want to buy a longer, better quality one? I wouldn't bother.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:40 am

I guess it depends on the person, I've recorded the calls of basically all the species in my region, yet I have bought both of David Stewarts frog call cds.

ZoZo
frog
frog

Postby ZoZo » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:44 am

Yeah, but you're a bit of an exception. It sounds as though you eat, sleep and breathe frogs. Most people have other hobbies as well, and probably wouldn't spend the extra money.

Edgee
frog
frog

Postby Edgee » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:56 pm

Now we see the true differences between an entusiast and someone who is serious about the welfare of frogs.
Me, I'm somewhere in the middle as I'm not educated enough in that area and there are only so many publications that you can get your hands on.

Donna
frog
frog

Postby Donna » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:37 pm

I would rather buy the cd (which I did) of the frog recordings from Dave Stewart, as if you dont support the people who do these things, they would hardly be going to the expense and time to make them. Although I must admit to downloading the couple of calls that werent on the cd.

And its not like the price is over the moon. And it is a great cd.

I have saved all the calls in itunes and made a separate folder with all the calls which are likely to be found locally from it. It makes the search much quicker when I hear a new call.

Donna

Steigus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Steigus » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:13 pm

I'm with Grant on this one. I would definitely buy, and prefer to listen to, a professionally produced CD over one I had recorded myself.
If I record a call, but have no idea the type of frog calling, how am I going to know what it is unless I hear it identified on a professionally produced CD, and then compare it to my recording? Of course, if you have a computer on hand you can always check out frogs.org.au
I have bought the 2 Dave Stewart CD's for the Frogs of Qld and just enjoy listening to them. There are only a few Vic Frogs on them, but maybe one day I'll get up to Qld and hopefully see/hear some of those beautiful amphibians from that state. And I'll know what frog is calling...because I've heard it on Dave's CD's.

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:42 pm

ZoZo wrote:Yeah, but you're a bit of an exception. It sounds as though you eat, sleep and breathe frogs.
...I'll take that as a compliment, but anyway the CD is a small price to pay for quality call recordings, I think it is worth it.

ZoZo
frog
frog

Postby ZoZo » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:44 pm

Yes, I gathered you would think it worth it.

It was meant as a compliment.

Edgee
frog
frog

Postby Edgee » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:27 am

I finally found that book if anyone is still interested.
Here's a link to it:
http://www.amonline.net.au/shop/product ... 4257E4E6...

Steigus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Steigus » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:31 pm

Thanks Shane. I've been a little busy lately and have only just checked out the various forums. I'll get that book if it's still available.
Cheers
Marlene

Gulper
frog
frog

Frog calls of Tasmania CD

Postby Gulper » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:58 pm

There is a CD available of the frog calls of tasmania "Frogs Tasmania- Natural History and calls of Tasmanian Frogs" which has quite a few Victorian species on it. I bought mine from the Wilderness Shop in Hobart for $18. It is (or was) produced by the Central North Field Naturalists at 68 Dynans Bridge Road Deloraine 7304 ©2002. There are quite a few Victorian species on that CD.

I am a firm believer in protecting Copyright, as a photographer myself. That said I have all my frog and bird calls on my iPod, because that is where I listen to them, in the field, and I can instantly search for any call and cross reference it against any other. Absolutely essentlial in my line of work. Buy the calls legitimately and support the folks who put the effort into travelling, recording and spending the money and time on the equipment. It isn't a cheap undertaking and if people don't pay for the product why bother going to the effort to make quality recordings? It costs money, but if it weren't so easy to "download" this stuff, imagine what it is worth to you per hour to try to get those recordings yourself. $29 per CD is virtually nothing.

Steigus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Steigus » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:30 pm

Hi Alex, thanks for info.
I'm more than happy to buy a CD if I can find one that is suitable. I checked out the distribution maps for Tassie frogs and there would appear to be quite a few that are located in both Vic & Tassie, so your suggestion will be definitely followed up.
I made enquiries about Shane's suggestion and there are very few, if any, species occuring in Sydney that can be also found in Vic. so I didn't buy that book which included a CD.
I'll let you know how I go. Hopefully it is still available.

Steigus
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Steigus » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:39 pm

Hi Alex, Further to my previous posting, I rang the Wilderness Shop in Hobart and they are posting out the CD to me. Thanks, your info is greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Marlene.

Gulper
frog
frog

Tassie Frog CD

Postby Gulper » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:37 pm

No worries Marlene, glad to be able to help.

Return to “Think Tank”