How big before croaking?

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

ZoZo
frog
frog

How big before croaking?

Postby ZoZo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:17 pm

Right, I have 2 juvinile WLTF's. At the moment they are 4.5cm - 5cm. If they were male how big would they be before they started croaking?

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:30 pm

It depends more on their age, ie. if the frogs are feed lots they may grow bigger but it doesn't mean they are any closer to sexual maturity. I'm not sure on how old they have to be but I would guess it would be about 2 years.
Cheers,
Grant

ZoZo
frog
frog

Postby ZoZo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:36 pm

Alright, sounds like I'm going to have to be pretty patient then.

Thanks! :D

Lauren

michaels
frog
frog

Postby michaels » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:19 pm

If they are that big then they should possibly call if you play a frog noise to them and they are males. This doesnt mean that they definantly will call or that if they dont, they are females but it might convince them to call. I have some green tree frogs who are only a few weeks old and try to call to my adult frogs, but maybe they are just wierd!.

good luck

ZoZo
frog
frog

Postby ZoZo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:37 pm

Hai Grant... So if the frogs grow faster they don't neccesarily develope faster?

I might try the sound thing, although my frogs don't seem to be bothered by much at all.

Thanks,

Lauren

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby GrantW » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:45 pm

It's sort of like people, you could have someone who is large, but young and someone who is small but older, it doesn't mean that the larger person is more developed. However, what Michaels said is also true, I've known young frogs to make attempt calls, not true calls, but more like practice calls. They don't start to make their true breeding call until they are a couple years old.
Cheers,
Grant

Gerry Marantelli
Amphibian Research Centre
Amphibian Research Centre

Postby Gerry Marantelli » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:33 pm

actually many frogs can reach maturity and breed at a wide range of ages - depends on conditions - we have bred Limnodynastes tasmaniensis that are 8 weeks old , while under other conditions they took over two years. thats extreme but I've seen it in many species.
Fast grown frogs do however often have other problems - they can range from developmental to fertility issues - so if you're not sure grow them at natural rates or near to it and you will get better frogs.

ZoZo
frog
frog

Postby ZoZo » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:00 pm

Okay, what's normal? I don't deliberately grow them fast, and I think they're growing at a normal rate.

angel_saza
frog
frog

Postby angel_saza » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:15 pm

I've got 2 litoria caurulea and i'vehad them since march. I'm not sure exactly how old they are, but currently they're about 4-5cm long. Occasionally, i think its just 1, makes sort of a squeaky croak noise.. I've heard some recordings of this species and it sounds nothing like my frogs. Are my frogs making this 'practice' call? they don't do it very often, so its hard to get a recording of it... unless i dont feed them 4 a couple days,

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:00 pm

It may be a distress call, which are done by both males and females. Does it happen when you go to pick them up?

Also, another explanation, which takes into account not feeding them. When my guys aren't fed for a day, they get aggressive, and pounce on each other whenever another moves. Thinking they are food. Do they do it when another has pouned on them?

Thanks,

Evan

Edgee
frog
frog

Postby Edgee » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:19 am

I'd say that it's trying to croak.
If you play a recording of an adult gtf, it may get the hang of it a little quicker.
I know mine did.

angel_saza
frog
frog

Postby angel_saza » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:44 am

They dont talk when i pick them, in fact i dont think they mind being picked up.. jasper isn't so keen, but i'm training him :)

they don't really get aggressive when they're hungry either. they occasionally 'squeak' when i open the lid to feed them. But it isn't all the time..

I'm thinking about burning a cd with froggy sounds, but i'm guessing that they'll only respond, if at all, to their own species calls.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:08 am

Not neccesarily. I have a magnetic cleaner on my frog tanks, and for some reason, it screeches on one tank, and not the other. My guy will call if I make the screeching noise. He has also responded to the horns of ships (I live on the coast), and a jet flying overhead.

I can't find a L. splendida call anywhere, but he doesn't respond to a L. caerulea call, which is pretty similar.

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:18 pm

i foudn a l.splendida call on a NT website but you cant downlaod it cos its a flash player go here http://www.frogwatch.org.au then click on frog list then click on magnificant tree frog and clikc on the flash button to hear call

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:12 pm

I used my brother's computer, and it worked. Sounds exactly the same as my guy's call.

I will record it next time he is calling, and upload it.

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:20 pm

hey evan have you recorded your guys call i want to try it out on mine

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:50 pm

Woops, sorry. Here it is. It is only three calls long, he can call for much longer. I will try again later, but he was uncooperative last time I tried. Found out today that the automatic card shuffler sets him off. Might try that next time.
Attachments
snd_4006.wav
Litoria splendida call
(50.59 KiB) Downloaded 584 times

samehada
frog
frog

Postby samehada » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:55 pm

cheers :D

Return to “Think Tank”