"Limnodynastes" lignarius

Do you have a question about anatomy, life cycle, taxonomy, or anything else that isn't covered by the other frogs.org.au projects? Ask them here (or provide an answer to other people's questions).

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

GrantW
Community Elder
Community Elder

"Limnodynastes" lignarius

Postby GrantW » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:47 pm

Why was the Carpenter or Woodworker Frog moved from Megistoltis to Limnodynastes? Physically it doesn't even look like a Limnodynastes, the typanum is distinct in only that species, and in nothing else in that genus.

Gulper
frog
frog

Carpenter frog

Postby Gulper » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:44 pm

I agree. I don't think it looks like any of the Limnodynastes. And I think that Lymnodynastes should be chopped up. The genus, not the frogs within it. Perhaps I am just an errant splitter.

Evan
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Evan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:25 am

This is the paper which merged Megistolis into Limnodynastes.

Gulper
frog
frog

Giving Limnodynastes the chop

Postby Gulper » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:22 pm

Well it's hard to argue with that, especially as I am not a molecular biologist. I guess there are some animals that display a lot of morphological divergence while displaying phylogenetic similarities at the genetic level. However, it does give validity to the genus Platyplectron Peters 1863 for the dorsalis complex (type species dumerilii); Ranaster Macleay 1877 (type species convexiusculus) for salmini, lignarius and convexiusculus; and it looks as if the only available name for the ornatus/spenceri pair is Opisthodon Steindachner 1867.

Anyone game to start using these names?

Cheers!

Eipper
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Eipper » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am

Alex,

I just got a copy of Frost et al that was published in the amnh in 2006.

Scott Keogh gave a run down at the ASH conference in April, Bascially It appears the Carpenter's moved to Limnodynastes and Opisthodon has resurected from synomy for O. ornatus and O. spenceri.

The rest of Limnodynastes stays the same.

A couple of interesting things that show Mixophyes being very closely related to Rheobatrachus and that these are divergent from the other Myobatrachids.

And that the new family of "small toad like frogs" from India was sunk. Its members moving back into Microhylidae (If think)

It will interesting to see what changes will be adopted for this new field guide in production at the moment.

Regards,
Scott Eipper

Brad M
frog
frog

Postby Brad M » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:43 am

Eipper wrote:Alex,

...Opisthodon has resurected from synomy for O. ornatus and O. spenceri.

So L.ornatus and L.spenceri are know both Opisthodon?

Gulper
frog
frog

Thanks Scott

Postby Gulper » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:27 pm

It is going to be interesting to see how long these findings take to sort themselves out and filter down into common usage.

There was mention made of a new field guide coming into production. Is there any further information available on that? I'm always up for a new field guide.

I'll change the nomenclature used in my database to refect the changes.

Cheers,

Alex.

Brad M
frog
frog

Postby Brad M » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:37 pm

I'm excited. There hasn't been an Australian frog field guide out for a while and the last few have become out of date. :)

Return to “Think Tank”