Frogs and snakes

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

LeanneK
spawn
spawn

Frogs and snakes

Postby LeanneK » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:47 pm

I live in Wagga Wagga and have several frogs in the yard. I am keen to encourage more by building a frog friendly garden. My only concern is that where I live there are also brown snakes. Is encouraging more frogs going to encourage more snakes around my house? I love the frogs but am terrified of the snakes.

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi Leanne,

Others might correct me but I think the Brown Snakes primarily feed on small mammals whereas its mainly the Black Snakes that will feast on frogs. However, it is possible that increasing the number of frogs around the place may attract snakes but I think that if there isn't too much cover for snakes e.g. sheets of tin, large logs, thick grasses and other debris then they may not be inclined to hang around even if there is a potential food source.

Aaron

LeanneK
spawn
spawn

Postby LeanneK » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:49 am

Thanks for that, I am happy for them to eat as many mice as they like (sorry if I offended anyone but I am terrified of mice also!). I will go ahead with the frog garden but make sure there is nowhere for any snakes to hide.

Alohacongigi
spawn
spawn

Frogs and snakes

Postby Alohacongigi » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:44 pm

I prefer snakes over

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”