New Frog Pond

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Sean
frog
frog

New Frog Pond

Postby Sean » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm back... :D

After a couple of years delay I have finally started work on a frog pond. I'm planning to have half of it permanently holding water with the other half full of rocks/sand/logs/plants for frog to hide in.

This pond is not designed to collect runoff though, as I want to keep the water quality high and reduce sediment. We have a rainwater tank, so I'll use water from that to fill it.

...But I don't want to top it up too often, so the ultimate question is 'to line or not to line'.

I know I could put a plastic liner in it then some layers of gravel and it would hold water really well. But our soil has high clay content, so do you think I could get away with only a layer of gravel over the soil? Once the soil is saturated will it hold water well?

Thoughts, comments?

P.S. I'll post some dimensions and keep this updated as I go. :wink:

Gulper
frog
frog

Postby Gulper » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:57 pm

It looks like a great pond, unfortunately I'm not much of an expert on these things- I guess you can wait to see what happens when it rains, but with el nino this year, you could be waiting a while. If the soils have a high clay contact hopefully lining won't be necessary. You might consider putting in some frog poles so they have somewhere to retreat to during the day.

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”