farm dam now a frog pond

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

ctowers
spawn
spawn

farm dam now a frog pond

Postby ctowers » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:26 pm

We have had a small dam in a big naturally grassed enclosure constructed for my 15 hens. It is just a few metres from our home and for many years hubby kept goldfish. The shags took all the goldfish over a few weeks and local frogs have moved in big time.

Within a few short months they cleaned the dam of duck weed which meant I could see the water again. There are hundred of taddies out there now - seem to be all different stages, seem to be sunbaking most of the day. Last summer hubby jokingly complained he couldn't sleep for the frog calls - but for me it was beautiful hearing their calls at night.

There is only grass and a few probably not so native weeds and rushes that hang into the pond. Probably 20-30 percent of the pond is shaded by established gum trees which regularly shed their leaves, bark ribbons and twigs into the water. Should I plant some more vegetation? Apart from our chooks no other animals can access the area - unless they fly in, as we have rabbit proof netting around the area.

The frogpond is circular about 3.5-3 metres deep and 6 metres round. The water comes from a permanent spring on our property and we top it up every few weeks. Should we try and keep the frogpond fairly full?

I have no idea what sort of frogs they are. If I were to try and take photos for this site could I please have some hints on the best time of day to take them and where to find the frogs - all I have seen is taddies.

Gulper
frog
frog

Frog Pond

Postby Gulper » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:10 pm

Your frog pond sounds fantastic! Chooks will eat many of the little frogs and those around the edge but tree frogs at least can be protected by providing homes- frog poles are a really simple way of giving the frogs somewhere safe if there are not too many hollows about. Simply putting a bit of polypipe upright in the ground (to a depth of at least 20cm and sticking up at least 60cm) means the frogs will have somewhere where they can escape from predators and the extremes of temperatures. It may take a month or two before the frogs find them but when they do they will be overjoyed at their new home.

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”