Frogs in Penguin

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Gordon Roberts
spawn
spawn

Frogs in Penguin

Postby Gordon Roberts » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi, I'm new to Frog Watch and have only become interested after buying a new house with two ponds and gold fish but also a number of frogs in my yard. Having the Frogs meant I have kept the ponds. I live in Penguin Tasmania and want to know if anyone else in Penguin has an interest in frogs, firstly to give me some idea what I have but also because recently I have found about five dead frogs and i don't know why. I don't use any sprays or poisons.

Gordon

Jenelle
frog
frog

Postby Jenelle » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:35 pm

did you have any luck ??

samwwelsby
spawn
spawn

Postby samwwelsby » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:33 pm

There might be a disease or something that killed the frogs.

Gulper
frog
frog

Postby Gulper » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:05 pm

Frogs can be killed by chemical sprays, (or by eating insects that have been sprayed or fed on plants that have been sprayed), but chytrid fungus is a big killer of frogs and most Tasmanian species are susceptible. Goldfish will certainly eat frogs eggs and tadpoles, so frogs and goldfish are not compatible. It should also be borne in mind that if your goldfish get into the native Tasmanian environment they could be a disaster- goldfish are better in an aquarium than a fishpond.

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”