hundreds of marshies!!! crazy

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Wano
tadpole
tadpole

hundreds of marshies!!! crazy

Postby Wano » Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 pm

Hi there,
I have got two frog ponds in the garden, both occupied by stripped marsh tadpoles for the majority of the year. This summer, upon frogging, I saw and heard something I have never witnessed before, hundreds of male stripped marsh's calling. There are still green tree frogs, persons tree frogs, bleating tree frogs and other ground dwelling frogs however the majority are stripped marsh. Is this a problem? how do I encourage tree frogs to breed? Is it because of the ponds not being extremely clean, and that stripped marsh taddies are more hardy?
Any input will be much appreciated :D
Last edited by Wano on Tue May 14, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annette
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby annette » Wed May 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Don't know about Striped Marshie tadpoles being hardier,Wano but the grown frogs are bigger and can, will and do eat anything smaller which can include tree frog taddies or tiny frogs.

Wano
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Wano » Tue May 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Yeah the tadpoles can withstand tougher conditions and the adults can also breed over a broader range of conditions when compared with most other Australian frogs.
Yeah I know, however there's no tadpoles of other types to begin with near my frog ponds.
Are frogs territorial to other species, is this why there's no other species breeding at this spot?

farles83
tadpole
tadpole

Postby farles83 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:39 pm

I've always been curious about this too. My ponds are both absolutely crawling with Striped Marsh frogs, I do occasionally hear a GTF in my water tank pipes and Perons in the trees nearby but I would absolutely love to see that they are actively breeding in my pond. Not sure if they can though with all the marshies.

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”