A big Hi and what I have done at home

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

sapphire
tadpole
tadpole

A big Hi and what I have done at home

Postby sapphire » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:40 pm

Hi there everyone...want to say thanks for having somewhere like this to talk and discuss helping these gorgeous creatures.

I am on the Mid North Coast of NSW and i bought this 1.1acre block of land and it would have been the 2nd year i finally heard a frog calling. The single garden that was here was NOT froggy friendly. So i started planting it some more adding broad leafed plants etc and i gradually heard MORE of the same frog.

This encouraged me so i found myself a 2nd hand fish pond and put in water poppies and water iris in it...then a shallow pond which i placed to receive the run off from the bigger pond. I planted this out more for bog plants and fine gravel on bottom of some with large rock etc in it. Then i planted heaps of Bromelaides, Frangipanni, Blue Ginger etc creating levels in the foliage and little water storage in the plants etc.

This year i heard soooo many calls i just had to go out and photograph everything I could find and ID them. I now have 7...yes SEVEN different species of frogs...from foliage living to burrowing frogs and some i never seen or heard of before. And yes in the "bog" pond HEAPS of different tadpoles and some now are still transforming in it. What I am HOPING to do for the next froggy season is to place a bog pond in my rainforest garden which is now established enough to start supporting a frog community over there as well. I am proud of this and it wasn't hard to do. I am about to finish the rock placement and feature log in Froggy Hollow and i have some outdoor seating to sit beside it to watch and listen to it all. A very relaxing place I find it. I am hoping to learn MORE about the frogs of this region and developing MORE natural habitat in the Lazy method like i have with these other 2 gardens as I am disabled and unable to BUILD fancy places. So if I can do it then everyone else can I believe

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:29 pm

Sounds like a great garden and its excellent to have so many frogs on your property. Do you have any photographs of the frogs and the ponds?

Aaron

sapphire
tadpole
tadpole

Postby sapphire » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:21 am

its a work in progress but just been so happy with the results again...I will find out and learn how to put pics up in here and will do that. I want to learn about others that might be in this region and build habitats to encourage more as well. I was surprised tho to see so many of them breeding already . Is there anywhere where we can put an album in this forum...or a link say to a fb album? I will read further and see if i can find the answers myself but if anyone knows feel free to let me know

Thanks

sapphire
tadpole
tadpole

Postby sapphire » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:53 am

try attaching the pics now and will use their common names and see if i get it right
Attachments
46854_10200381868768628_866343294_n.jpg
Limnodynastes Tasmaniensis... Male Spotted Grass Frog
734612_10200381869528647_1653421489_n.jpg
312484_10200381861248440_1018794787_n.jpg
?? green stream frog

annette
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby annette » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi Sapphire, welcome to a whole new lifelong (it will be!) addiction :) I was smitten years ago, and yes this si a great place to learn. Many knowledgeable people on here and they are generous with advice.

Your frogs are gorgeous, and look forward to seeing pics of your pond/s! Happy frogging!

ETA Wow, I just morphed!!! Been thinking I never would! Officially 'frog' now.....

sapphire
tadpole
tadpole

Postby sapphire » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:16 pm

Thanks for the welcome....i have always loved animals and thought yeh i will put in a frog pond as i use to leave the front porch light on to encourage the bugs for the frogs and when they were just the same allllll the time I thought i would TRY and change that.

NEVER did i think putting this together with MORE needing to be done to it to be completed be enough to bring in THAT many frogs. Both many as in numbers and variety.

annette
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby annette » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:04 pm

Yes, it's always 'more needing to be done' with ponds (I have 2 and one seasonal pond), but it's such rewarding work when the frogs come. I'd love to do a bog area......

sapphire
tadpole
tadpole

Postby sapphire » Wed May 01, 2013 1:10 am

This is my work in progress album. I will just build the rock UP to the pond and create pockets to plant plants into it so it isn't dug in. The frangipani, broms etc will all be planted around with a feature log with my windmill etc around it. The rock from the front will tie a garden to the ponds and large tree that is there so will eventually look like the pond is IN amongst the garden itself.

The shallow pond is the beginning of the bog and i found that it is where the frogs all gathered for the laying of eggs...The deeper one with small lilly pads is where majority gathered to SING and show off. and then girls came in and hid amongst the large leafs surrounding the pond that was the broms, frangi's etc even the water iris and brazilian irs
Attachments
pond2.jpg
pond1.jpg
pond3.jpg
Pond

David De Angelis
frog
frog

Postby David De Angelis » Sat May 04, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi Sapphire,

They look like fantastically well-vegetated ponds. Not sure about the cat getting that close though - usually discouraged, although not likely to have much of an impact on the (numbers of) frogs.

Your 'green stream frog' is Litoria gracilenta.

Good luck with further frogscaping, and look forward to seeing more pics as it continues to evolve.

David.

annette
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby annette » Sun May 05, 2013 8:03 am

Looking good Sapphire. have to agree with David re the cat, unlikely to affect numbers of frogs overall, but cats being hunters, will probably get a few.
Speaking of predators...I headed out to take some frog pics the other night and as I approached one pond which has a giant gum nearby, an owl almost brushed my head with its wing...think it was sussing out a snack! I was too starled/slow to get a pic of it. So many predators for frogs. Building rocks right around the edges of your ponds will create hiding spots for them, so is a great idea. Keep up the good work!

lucywills8
spawn
spawn

Postby lucywills8 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Welcome to the site, im new too :) Great photos btw!

Gulper
frog
frog

Welcome, Sapphire!

Postby Gulper » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:19 pm

Wow, what a great story! Your garden looks as if it proving to be a hub of happy frog activity! Well done, very inspiring.

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”