Pond musing amd management

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

annette
metamorphling
metamorphling

Pond musing amd management

Postby annette » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:45 pm

This year I had to move my SBTF tadpoles from this pond I built a few years ago due to an algae issue. I cleaned this pond right out at the end of Winter last year, including scrubbing the rocks just using water and a scrubbing brush, and only replanted with cuttings of plants from the same pond (no new ones introduced), and got an algae growth - the 'fairy floss-looking' dark green algae, which I am forever scooping out with a lawn rake to minimise it's spread. I have tried keeping the surface covered with duckweed, to inhibit so much light, but the algae has bloomed despite this. I'm hoping that in a year or two the creeper planted to the right may help block some sun out, too. May put a screen there, as well.

I moved them successfully into this older pond having cleaned it out earlier, too.

The pond in the first pic gets sunlight all day, whilst the one in the second pic is on the west side of the house, and gets filtered sun from about noon and only full sun from 3pm on. I think the full sun encourages algae, as it's never grown in the pond in the second pic. Could I be right?

I am currently re-planting the surrounding garden (I know ivy is a noxious weed in some places) but it provides wonderful cover for frogs around this pond. I am putting in Lomandras, bromeliads, and some grasses, and doing the same with a major garden bed nearby. Pulling out ornamental (water-needy) plants, as we seem to be on the cards for drier summers, and replacing with natives and frog-friendly plants.

Love seeing other people's ponds.....:) Regards!

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:13 pm

They are really nice looking ponds you have there. I am actually a bit jealous, I want to put in a pond but it will have to wait until I can find the time.

The algae you have sounds similar to 'blanket weed'. I think you're right about the full sun causing more algae, the increase in water temperature might add more as well.

Excess nutrients in the water speed up algae growth as well. I have heard water plants will compete with algae for the nutrients in the water. But it sounds like you are already trying this.

annette
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby annette » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Thanks Sean, I have really enjoyed building my ponds and watching countless tadpoles mature over the years. The first pond I did a thread on, somewhere here "My new pond 12 months on". Just a sheet of black plastic and a fair bit of hard labour but so worth it when the frogs result. The art of pond management however, is an on-going learning curve!
'Blanket weed' - off to google! Thanks!

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”