Have had a great froggy Summer

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

annette
metamorphling
metamorphling

Have had a great froggy Summer

Postby annette » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:13 pm

As title says (despite no rain!) Watched about 800 - 1,000 Southern Brown tadpoles grow in one of my ponds, fed on a diet of frozen lettuce leaves and later a scattering of cold water fish flakes:

Then watched as they morphed, lucky they are tree frogs, they picked they steep side to cling to........

Now I get to see the tiny frogs around the garden at night. This photo shows the 'high rise' accommodation available...

Single shot of a tiny individual, the colour variations are so interesting, this one has a green sheen:

Regards!

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:50 am

That is very cool, great work. You will certainly have a lot of frog around! I had to laugh at the 'high rise' accommodation, they look so at home.

Also what is with all the bees in the first image? Are they drinking from the pond?

annette
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby annette » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:50 pm

Yes, the bees do drink from the pond. They don't worry me though, and are pretty quiet and non-aggressive. We have a hive over in an old shed wall, and usually frequent the birdbaths, but on really hot days when they must be desperate for water they do drink from the ponds. The world needs bees too, so it's ok!

Wano
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Wano » Tue May 07, 2013 9:42 pm

That's awesome! keep it up

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”