I have written a frog friendly fish article for you!

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Nathan Litjens
frog
frog

I have written a frog friendly fish article for you!

Postby Nathan Litjens » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi all, I have written a frog friendly fish for ponds article for you. Though some on the list may at time snack on tadpoles, they are all found in natural water bodies that contain native tadpoles. It informs about natural fish distribution for maximum ecological friendliness in case of escape etc.

NOTHING ON THIS LIST IS NON NATIVE!

Jet (Dave) had been at me a while ago to write this one up so enjoy, and maybe it can be reproduced on this site?

http://www.runwildtv.com/how-we-do-it/introduction-to-frog-friendly-fishes/

Gulper
frog
frog

Brilliant piece of work!

Postby Gulper » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks Nathan,

you're a legend! That is a wonderful article. Thank you for putting the time into it, it is most appreciated.

Cheers,

Alex.

Nathan Litjens
frog
frog

Postby Nathan Litjens » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:06 pm

Thanks Alex,

I am missing pictures of:

- Gambusia
- Smelt

If anyone would like to donate (as in allow me to use- either send to me or link directly to an image this one time) I would be greatly appreciative.

-Nathan

Nathan Litjens
frog
frog

Postby Nathan Litjens » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:38 pm

To the current admin: could this post be sticky by any chance? It's a very common question. Cheers.

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:17 am

Thanks very much for writing that, I am about to head out but have book marked it to read later! :)

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:20 am

Nathan Litjens wrote:Thanks Alex,

- Gambusia
- Smelt

If anyone would like to donate (as in allow me to use- either send to me or link directly to an image this one time) I would be greatly appreciative.

-Nathan

I am not sure if you use Flickr or not but most people on there are happy for you to use their images for this sort of thing, just message them first.

the toon in oz
tadpole
tadpole

Postby the toon in oz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks Nathan - it cleared up the issue and helped me out!

cheers
John

Nathan Litjens
frog
frog

Postby Nathan Litjens » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 am

Cheers, glad you found it of use!

lolita1
tadpole
tadpole

Postby lolita1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Thanks

Who
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Who » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:27 am

Nathan Litjens wrote:To the current admin: could this post be sticky by any chance? It's a very common question. Cheers.

:wink:

taniaaust1
tadpole
tadpole

Postby taniaaust1 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:55 pm

Nathan Litjens wrote:Thanks Alex,

- Gambusia
- Smelt

-Nathan

To indentify the Gambusias I put unknowingly at the time into my frog pond.. I used the drawing of the diferent fish where I am at www.sanfa.org.au/fw-fish-poster.htm .. it has drawing of both male and female gambusia. (Turned out that the one I'd grabbed to check out closely was a male one which made it easier to indentify due to the very long fin under the fish which really stands out when it swims).

An actual Photo of these fish (male and female photo) but its in black and white is at the Gambusia control homepage at www.gambusia.net

I could try to take a colour photo for you at some time of these if you want a good picture (I'll be trying to catch them all from my frog pond once I get a half water barrel water garden set up in which I can put them and which the frogs wont get into. (I cant bring myself to kill them and of cause cant release them).

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”