Tadpoles not changing into frogs after at least 5 months

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Sue H
spawn
spawn

Tadpoles not changing into frogs after at least 5 months

Postby Sue H » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:40 pm

Hi. I am hoping that someone can help me. I have tadpoles in my dogs swimming pool (a kids plastic pool). They appeared last April/May and havenot changed into frogs. There are no signs of legs forming. I haven't seen any dead tadpoles but the numbers are getting less. With the onset of summer, the water is evaporating away and there is less rain to ntop up the water. I added some tap water the other day but don't like to do this too often because of additives to the water. I am worried about the water heating up too much. Is there a critical nutrient/condition that is preventing the tadpoles from metamorphosising? What can I do to help?

Nick Thorne
frog
frog

Postby Nick Thorne » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:53 pm

Hi Sue. Generally tap water will be OK if you add some water conditioner to it (which you can get from any aquarium shop), or you can just allow it to stand for a day or two in a container before adding it to the pond. As for the taddies not metamorphosing, they may simply be too young. Some tadpoles can take the best part of a year before they are ready, it all depends on what species they are. Nick

Sue H
spawn
spawn

Postby Sue H » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi Nick,
I had no idea it could take so long. The water is getting pretty mucky and come summer I hope the dogs dont jump in and come out with tadpoles stuck to them! Should I do anything about the dirty water?
Sue

Nick Thorne
frog
frog

Postby Nick Thorne » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:07 pm

Yeah, well like I said, it depends on what species and there others on this site that know more about frogs than I do and can give you more info, fish are more my thing. Nevertheless, I love having frogs and tadpoles in my garden in Lilydale, there is nothing more restful on a hot summers night that having a chorus of frogs going outside. Heaven!

As for the dirty water, if you have sufficient containers available, make sure you have a big enough supply of aged water on hand and you could try to do a partial water change. Using a bucket, take out a proportion of water from the pond and then top it up from your supply. If there are really a lot of leaves in the water, you could pull a proportion of them out, but on the other hand organic material in the pond forms the base of the food chain. Crystal clear water with nothing in it is fine for a swimming pool, but not so good if you want little critters to live in it.

The main issue from our point of view as humans is mosquitoes. If you can see wrigglers in the pond, you might consider putting in a fish to eat them. Don't use goldfish as apart from anything else they are likely to have a go at your tadpoles. I would try a single Murray rainbowfish, which is a Murray-Darling fish but does OK so long as the water does not get too cold (ie, is not exposed to heavt frost) and not too warm (not in the full sun). These have the advantage that they are available through the aquarium trade so most people can get them.

The ideal fish for a pond in Victoria in many respects would be the dwarf galaxias (see my avatar) but these guys are totally protected so they are off limits. Blast it! Maybe we need a campaign to make them available through the aquarium trade (using captive bred stock, of course) but that is the subject of a whole other rant for another day. LOL.

If you decide to introduce a fish, see the FAQ page on the Native Fish Australia web site for some more info that might be of help.

Cheers,

Nick

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:00 pm

I agree with Nick, tadpoles can take a great deal of time to turn into frogs. Its just a guide because it can vary a lot but this page can be used as a rough guide: http://frogs.org.au/vfg/faqs/tadpolelife.html

If you are in Melbourne you will have fluoride in your water which I have heard is an issue for tadpoles. There is no easy way to remove it either. Rain water is great if you can get it. You might be able to collect the water off your roof or a shed?

You can also buy water which works out expensive. I have used those large 10-15L Frantales or Nobles water casks from the supermarket and they worked ok. Just gets expensive. Like Nick said it doesn't have to be crystal clear but you want to be able to see the bottom. You might have to change some of the water every few days in summer.

Also are they in the shade? And also how many litres of water does the thing hold and how many tadpoles are there?

This might help if you haven't already seen it:
http://www.fdrproject.org.au/ponds/rais ... oles.shtml

Sean

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”