An introduction, and my pond

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

the toon in oz
tadpole
tadpole

An introduction, and my pond

Postby the toon in oz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:09 am

Hey, I am John and I am in Bris. Thought Id say hi and show a few pics.

My brother and I agreed that a large grassy backyard is basically a waste of space and decided to create something for ourselves and the local fauna. Well, mainly somewhere we could escape the heat of an afternoon with a beer!
The yard backs onto bushland and we already get visits from Beardies, EW Dragons and Coastal Carpet pythons. Plus what seems like every species of bird in the region. This was the starting point;

Into it and council commenced a massive drainage project out the back... pond dug, watercourse commenced and the first stage of the gardens done.

Making this stuff is so so much fun!

Next lot of 'rocks'

Then a lot of planting of native grasses (lomandra, liriope etc), the pondliner in and a new resident

A heap of larger rock plus some 25-150mm river rock and we planted a lot of Zoysia grass which will cover most of the smaller rocked area at the middle left of the pic below;

Finally, the deck went in last wekend, and all thats left to do is some more planting around the deck and wait for everything to grow!

Sorry for all the pics, just to give a better idea of what it's like. As I said in my other ID thread, already have Striped Marsh frogs and can't wait to see what comes next (yeah, probably Cane Toads..)
cheers

UuserMeLiam
frog
frog

Postby UuserMeLiam » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Wow John, that look stunning!

Great job with building this pond, im think of doing something like this too in my backyard, but that will have to be in the holidays, need to pay attention on schooling and complete Exams and PLP!!!

Soon frogs will be all over your pond, but its a shame you guys have cane toads in your area.

Good luck with the growing of your plants and enjoy the frogs!

Gulper
frog
frog

Postby Gulper » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:09 pm

Your set-up looks great! I hope you can plant some trees to replace those removed in the refurbishment. You can also get a few tree frogs to take up residence with some frog poles which will provide security for your amphibian friends. See this threat for instruction: http://frogs.org.au/community/viewtopic ... ce957d7a1b
If you have any questions drop me a line.
You can make a dog-proof pole by getting an upright length of metal pipe and burying it deeply (> 30cm) with a pvc pipe sleeve for insulation. I doubt even a determined dog would wreck that. If it does, you need to walk your dog more often!

the toon in oz
tadpole
tadpole

Postby the toon in oz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks for the replies and compliments!

@Gulper - like the idea to attract the tree frogs. We didn't remove any trees - local council removed a heap outside of the boundary to do their stormwater upgrades and the fire barrier. It doesnt show in the photos well.
Ironically, we has a big storm last night and there was a river out back.. ah well. Council always knows best.
cheers!

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:07 pm

That's a really nice pond, the frogs and other wildlife will love it. Nice dragon you have there as well. :D

By the way has anyone noticed an increase in snake sightings since putting in a pond? I know they are territorial so I doubt it, but thought I would ask.

the toon in oz
tadpole
tadpole

Postby the toon in oz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi Sean, surprisingly, there has been one sighting here in the 10 years my brother has lived here? We found a dead Coastal Carpet a few years back.
Ive no doubt that there'd be more out in the bushland behind though!

We are hoping to have them as visitors. Presently we have two captive snakes, a Spotted Python and a hypo Bredli python.

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Careful what you wish for ;)

We seem to only get Eastern Brown snakes here, already had one on our property and one on the road nearby this year. I don't mind them too much and they don't seem to hang around. More worried about the dog than anything else.

Now those European Wasps on the other hand... :x

the toon in oz
tadpole
tadpole

Postby the toon in oz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:14 am

Yeah, the area is renown for EBs, but I am yet to see one?!

**Hey Gulper, I am curious about the frog poles, and sent you a PM. Let me know when you can please?**

the toon in oz
tadpole
tadpole

Postby the toon in oz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:19 pm

By way of an update...

We released 4 Rainbow fish into the pond around 6 weeks ago and they have taken well to the pond, getting bigger, rapidly!
So much so that we know have somewhere between 10-15 fry! Whilst the pond is large, I doubt it will sustain that amount of fish. We are actually 'breeding' mozzie larvae to ensure the current ones have enough food ;)

So if you are in Brisbane or nearby (we are in Logan) and want some free fish, let me know.
I would estimate that they would be ready to go in a cpl of weeks. PM me or email me at 1thetooninoz1 AT gmail DOT com

Happy to throw in a dozen Cane toads too, if you want them..... :roll:

the toon in oz
tadpole
tadpole

Postby the toon in oz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:23 pm

By the way, someone PMed me a while back and asked about the process of making the fake rocks - if their is enough interest, I can write up a guide. Just lemme know.
cheers
John

farles83
tadpole
tadpole

Postby farles83 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 pm

Geez... that's unreal mate!

I only wish I had the skill/patience to do something like that. I have two ponds in my backyard already, but would love to build a third like yours.

Did you design the largest rock so it would act like a waterfall in the rain?

Hope it doesn't evaporate too quickly, mine are covered in plants but i'm still topping them up an inch or two every weekend.

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”