Environmental concerns

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

facetious.blacksheep
spawn
spawn

Environmental concerns

Postby facetious.blacksheep » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:57 pm

I know this might be a really stupid question. :oops: However, I have looked all over the internet and can't really find the information that I am seeking. I recently moved down to Fort Myers, FL and before moving here I lived in Daytona Beach. Anyways I lived in an apartment and there was a pond out back with trees. Every-night you would hear wild-life it truly was amazing. When you stepped outside there was green tree frogs and toads everywhere you turned. I moved here in a house and there is also a pond out back with more trees then there was at the other place. However, it’s completely dead here. You don’t hear much of anything. You will see a tree frog here or there if you’re lucky. Therefore, I have been pondering on why that would be. The habitat is about the same if not better. And the only thing that I can think of that is different. Is the amount of times they spray here for mosquitoes which didn’t happen as often in Daytona. To the point what could it be, do chemicals that kill mosquitoes harm other wild life? Is it the time of year? Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. :D [/b]

Gulper
frog
frog

Postby Gulper » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:27 pm

Yes, the chemicals that kill mosquitos DO kill other wildlife. This often happens through the process of bioaccumulation where the chemicals are concentrated up the food chain. Many species of frogs have an aquatic larval stage and chemicals that get into the water can have a profound effect on the development of frogs. Frogs generally don't cope very well in heavily polluted areas. Sadly, as more of humanity is becoming more connected to the internet, they are becoming less connected to the natural world. This is dangerous, because it is a functioning ecosystem that sustains us, and we are at the top of the food chain. If our poisons are affecting aquatic life (such as mosquito larvae) then it is pretty likely they will be affecting us.

We should know better. It has been decades since Rachel Carson wrote "Silent Spring"- it sounds as if that is what you're experiencing.

facetious.blacksheep
spawn
spawn

Postby facetious.blacksheep » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Hey thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. Before living in Florida I lived in Michigan. When moving to Daytona Beach I had fallen in love with frogs the "green tree frogs" have become my favorite. I love photography and Nature life is my favorite to capture. Living in Daytona Beach for two years I decided to move further down. I thought living further into Florida I would see more wild life. Sadly, that has not been the case. I agree not just on-line but technology such as games, computers, phones have consumed humans. A lot of people have lost touch of life and the beauty of it. Anyways, I have a deep concern for the wild life. And something didn't seem right. Your reply has helped me learn a bit more.

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”