Fish for small frog pond

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

lolita1
tadpole
tadpole

Fish for small frog pond

Postby lolita1 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:25 am

Hi I have created a small frog/fish pond water feature in a large square pot plant container. It is approx 50cm deep and 60cm wide. The oxygenating plants and small fountain are so far doing a great job at keeping the water clear but summer has yet to hit! BTW the small fountain really is for the fish as they will be the long term hopefully users of the pond.

Any way this is more about the fish I need for mozzie control. The pond in winter will get very cold as in put your hand in and it will be numb. In winter there isn’t allot if any sun in the area the pond is located. Will the fish be able to survive this type of temperature or will I need to “winter” them in a different container? As it is a pot I was also thinking I could move it in winter so that it gets more sun. Also any suggestions on fish would be appreciated the first lot Blue Eyes died due to the cold water which I feel terrible about. Note I did speak to the pet shop about the water temp before I got them.

All suggestions welcome as this did start as a frog pond but the need to have mozzie control as made it necessary to have fish.
Thanks

Gulper
frog
frog

This topic has already been covered..

Postby Gulper » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:23 pm

http://frogs.org.au/community/viewtopic ... 2881aeb654

At the bottom of the thread Nick has left an invitation to contact him about such questions. Good luck- please use only native fish.

Cheers,

Alex.

Nick Thorne
frog
frog

Postby Nick Thorne » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:23 pm

In the Brisbane area, if you're having problems with blue-eyes, you could try a single crimson spotted rainbowfish. However, if you had some fatalities there are a number of issues that could be involved, so if you like, PM me and give me your phone number and I'll call you (or I can give you my mobile No - but I get my calls for "free", so... :) )

Nick

lolita1
tadpole
tadpole

Postby lolita1 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:10 am

Hi Nick,

The poor little fish died in the bag that I rested on top of the water before I released them. I am going to wait for the weather to warm up it is just so cold still.

Will give you a call however if there is any trouble with the next group really appreciate your offer.

Cheers

lolita1
tadpole
tadpole

Postby lolita1 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi was always going to use native fish.

Nick Thorne
frog
frog

Postby Nick Thorne » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:41 pm

There is some information on the FAQ page of the Native Fish Australia web site at about using native fish in ponds.

Naomi Richard
spawn
spawn

Postby Naomi Richard » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:14 pm

Wow! You have reminded me about my childhood days. In our child hood we used to do the same thing, fish pond. We used to put soft stones and some plants in the water also. Some children used to put whole sand in the pond, which makes water clear.

lolita1
tadpole
tadpole

Postby lolita1 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:49 am

So no tadpoles but the fish bred it looked the adults were eating the fry so i set up a temp pond for them 6 pacific blue eye babies safe! Then it rained

The frogs went nuts and laid eggs in both small ponds & the bird bath so i've now got 4 small ponds going & a bird bath (that i hope to get remaining tads out of when bigger)!

Just did first water change (partial) off to get some blue eye for the new tanks.

Nathan Litjens
frog
frog

Postby Nathan Litjens » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi,

I've answered your question in fine detail. http://www.runwildtv.com/how-we-do-it/introduction-to-frog-friendly-fishes/

Enjoy

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”