Frog Poles

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Gulper
frog
frog

Frog Poles

Postby Gulper » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:11 pm

I just checked my frog poles, I have eight currently installed, six of them have frogs in them, and from what I can see, three of those have three frogs in them. All the tree frogs that live around here use them. I'm stoked, as I don't have any hollow trees on the block and these poles are providing excellent habitat. These poles are probably the easiest means of providing frog habitat possible, and they definitely work.

For D.I.Y. instructions feel free to PM me- it's really very straightforward- you need a length of pipe (pvc, polypipe or metal pipe), a hacksaw and a small but deep hole in the ground. (and a little patience).

http://www.pbase.com/gehyra/image/117339171

annette
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby annette » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:42 am

That is a great idea. How deep do you bury them and how big are the holes you cut into them? I have one fairly exposed other pond and would like to build in some protection nearby.
I've got some big hollow Mallee roots placed around near another pond, but it is hard to find many hollow logs. Rgds

Gulper
frog
frog

Frog Poles

Postby Gulper » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:52 am

Removing logs from the bush is simply robbing Peter to pay Paul when it comes to habitat, which is why these frog poles are so great. I've found that larger diameter poles (up to 5 cm) are used by a variety of frogs, but the frogs do tend towards a pole diameter that fits the frog. I generally bury the base about 15cm into the ground and make sure the pole sticks up at least 40cm to provide the frog with some protection from snakes and to reduce the risk of critters climbing up and falling in without being able to escape. Bear in mind the poles are going to be used by tree frogs, and they can easily climb up a pole. It is important however not to put the pole too close to trees or other features that other animals can jump onto the pole from, or there is a risk they will become trapped inside. Try using a mix of black polypipe and white pvc pipes- I suspect there will be seasonal variation in how the poles are used.

Cheers,

Alex.

Kristyy
frog
frog

Postby Kristyy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:12 pm

Can you share a photo of what they look like in the ground?

annette
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby annette » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:51 am

Thanks Gulper, I was wondering about possibly creating a snake 'snack bar'! :) And had assumed the pipe was wider stuff like plumbing pipe. Think I will give this a go. Rgds

Gulper
frog
frog

Frog poles in action

Postby Gulper » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:09 pm

In our garden tonight..
Attachments
Frogpoles.jpg
Frogpoles.jpg (177.98 KiB) Viewed 5669 times

annette
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby annette » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:05 pm

Great pics Gulper - obviously successful! Happy campers there! Have this on my 'To Do' list (yes, still!) and that gives me a push along.... thanks for posting. Rgds

Gulper
frog
frog

^^^

Postby Gulper » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:25 pm

I'm not about to click that link- whoever that guy is his idea of frog poles sounds far removed from mine. Weirdo.

Naomi Richard
spawn
spawn

Postby Naomi Richard » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:17 pm

I didn’t like frogs at all. I love to make small ponds for fish, but I am afraid of frogs. I never allowed the frogs to be in my fish ponds when I was a kid. When they look at me I feel like they are going to attack me.

Gulper
frog
frog

Anuraphobia

Postby Gulper » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:26 pm

You are probably aware that the frogs are not going to attack you, but if not, I can assure you that frog attack is very uncommon, and unlikely to prove fatal in Australia. Frogs are not known for their offensive weaponry, although some do have defensive weapons in the form of poisonous skin secretions. As long as a frog doesn't attack you by jumping directly into your mouth, you are safe in the presence of frogs. They are peace-loving creatures who usually try to avoid contact with people. People are considerably more dangerous. I would be far more concerned about people looking at you than frogs looking at you.

I hope that you use your time on this forum to learn more about our froggy bretheren and to appreciate their aesthetic pleasantness and gentle natures.

Frogs need love too.

taniaaust1
tadpole
tadpole

Postby taniaaust1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:16 pm

I just love that photo, they all look so cute.. . thanks for sharing it.

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”