Oxygenating Water

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Oxygenating Water

Postby Marshie Man » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:59 pm

I saw this fact on a website that water plants like duckweed etc 'get air' into the water.
I wasnt sure about this because i had never heard of this anywhere before.
I purchased a couple of sbtf taddies today and was wondering if i needed an air pump for them to breath.
Appreciate any help
Thanks

Alex :)

anastasia courtney
frog
frog

Postby anastasia courtney » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:12 am

water plants will put oxygen into the water just like other plants put oxygen into the air. When you say air pump do you mean putting an air stone in with them like you see in a lot of aquariums? If so it's probably a good idea, it'll create water movement and stop the water from going stagnant (this can happen surprisingly quickly even if you change the water often).

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Postby Marshie Man » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:50 am

Yeh i meant an air stone......i have the air pump but i lost my stone...lol
I'l just go to the aquarium today and buy another.

Excited a lot because both of them were already developing legs which was a bonus but it meant that they don't have much time left :shock:

Nick Thorne
frog
frog

Postby Nick Thorne » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:05 pm

Photosynthesis in plants will add oxygen to water in the presence of sunlight, however, not many people realise that plant respiration, like animal respiration, uses oxygen and gives off carbon dioxide. This means that when it is dark, plants add to the oxygen demand of the system since photosynthesis is no longer occurring to overcome this. This is why you often get fish mortality in the early morning just before dawn, as the levels of oxygen become depleted over night. Having some method for creating water movement, either a water pump/fountain of air stones allows greater gas exchange at the water surface by the process of mixing the water and can alleviate the low oxygen levels.

alvallis
tadpole
tadpole

Postby alvallis » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:23 pm

That's very interesting. It might well be not enough oxygen. Although there are a few huge taddies left over from last year which are still alive and well. It's a real mystery. I won't rip out the daisies but I think I'll gradually start finding replacements for them. I've pulled out the extra lily leaves to allow more light through to the submerged plant. Other than that I guess I'll just have to wait for next summer.
Thanks so much for your help :)

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”