Mosquitoes and Frog Ponds

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

TheSwords99
spawn
spawn

Mosquitoes and Frog Ponds

Postby TheSwords99 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:35 pm

I'm not sure if this topic has already been covered as I just joined this site. I am planning on building a small frog pond soon and was wondering how do you control mosquitoes around the pond? I am not planning on buying a pump as I heard that frogs prefer quiet stagnant water and can get sucked in. I also heard that its not a good thing to mix frogs and fish in the pond because fish eat tadpoles.

Any advice anyone?

Marshie Man
frog
frog

Postby Marshie Man » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:04 pm

Well, the only problem there is bouit that is that mosquitoes thrive of stagnent water to lay the eggs so you will have to have reasonable movement in the pond.

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:18 pm

It is recommended to use small local native fish.

You can find more information here:

http://www.nativefish.asn.au/[/url]

vic178
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby vic178 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:55 am

You could also use air stones to move the water gently without the risk of sucking frogs into the pump.

TheSwords99
spawn
spawn

Postby TheSwords99 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:53 pm

Are there any fish that can co habitat with frogs in a pond? How about goldfish or minnows? I also read about a product called Mosquito Dunk, a pellet that you put in the water which is supposed to kill mosquito larvae. Has anyone tried it?

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:53 am

I wouldn't use any non-native fish in a pond, not worth the risk of them getting into water ways.

Goldfish will eat tadpoles.

I haven't heard of the "Mosquito Dunk", but the web pages I found say it's safe, but I wouldn't risk it when you can just get native fish.

runoutgroove
spawn
spawn

Postby runoutgroove » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:00 pm

Those "mosquito dunks" are a special formulation of a commonly used larvacide in natural wetlands, Bti. This is the same larvicide (but in liquid form) is used to control mosquitoes in coastal wetlands (e.g. saltmarsh and mangroves) in SE QLD. I don't think the dunks are registered for use in Australia.

From my experience, mosquitoes move in quickly to a new pond but over time, mosquito predators such as other aquatic insects move in and the overall numbers are generally kept in check. Throughout most areas of Australia, the main backyard pest mozzie is more likely to be breeding in pot plant saucers, bird baths, blocked guttering and bromeliads rather than a frog pond itself.

From memory, FATS in NSW used to suggest Mountain Cloud Minnows (?) as a possible option as, although they may eat very small tadpoles, they will generally leave large tadpoles alone. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Andree
frog
frog

Postby Andree » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:10 pm

Yup

we have just been talking about them in a post titled 'golden medakas for pond'. I think white clouds have been eating lots of spawn and some small tadpoles in my pond.

Cheers
Andree

Nick Thorne
frog
frog

Postby Nick Thorne » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:01 pm

As someone heavily involved in the native freshwater fish scene, I heartily agree with Anne's comment about using native fish. Depending on where the pond is, suitable fish include various species of rainbowfish, Pacific blue eyes, Australian smelt, pigmy perch and various galaxias species. Not all of these are easy to obtain commercially and some are more suitable than others depending on the temperature range of your location and whether the pond is exposed to frost etc. If you wouldl ike to say where the pond is and how exposed it is to frost etc, I might be able to give you a more defined suggestion.

TheSwords99
spawn
spawn

Postby TheSwords99 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Well actually I'm in the northeast USA

Nick Thorne
frog
frog

Postby Nick Thorne » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:47 pm

Ah, yes... slightly outside my area of expertise. <grin>

However, the concept of using small locally native fish still applies. The trick is going to be finding a suitable species for your area. Look for species that have small mouths and don't grow very large. You might be able to find some info at North American Native Fishes Association web site

Leah
frog
frog

Postby Leah » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:31 pm

This could be what you're looking for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Clou ... ain_minnow

I bought 10, for $2 each, a month ago. I don't know how many are in my pond now, but there are the original adults and individuals smaller than mosquito larvae plus every size in between. The only mosquito larvae I've seen in the pond have had their heads bitten through. Best $20 I ever spent!

Seems white clouds originated in China so if we can get them in Oz I'm sure you can get them in the US. They're well-known for polishing off mosquitoes but leaving frogspawn alone, hence widely used for precisely this purpose.

I never wanted to keep fish; I wanted a mosquito-free frog pond. Now, while I wait for frog breeding season, I'm charmed by the fishes' iridescent flash and seeing weeny new ones every day.

I presume they'll reach carrying capacity and then new babies will be eaten because there'll be nowhere for them to hide. If they just keep on increasing, there'll be a 'for sale' sign on my front fence!

TheSwords99
spawn
spawn

Postby TheSwords99 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:35 am

Thanks but I started this thread nearly 2 years ago and have since researched it.

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:28 pm

don't worry, that's a spammer. I'll fix him up good and proper :D

edit: he's gone. Left the post there so people can see you're not crazy :lol:

Litoria Peroni
spawn
spawn

Air Stones

Postby Litoria Peroni » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:59 am

begreencanada wrote:
vic178 wrote:You could also use air stones to move the water gently without the risk of sucking frogs into the pump.

Does anyone know where I could find air stones in NSW?

Nick Thorne
frog
frog

Postby Nick Thorne » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:16 pm

Practically any pet shop or aquarium shop. You'll need an air pump as well - same source. :)

Gulper
frog
frog

Postby Gulper » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Nathan Litjens has written an excellent article on the topic: http://www.runwildtv.com/how-we-do-it/i ... ly-fishes/

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks Gulper for reminding me to take a look at his website. :)

These spammers are really annoying me, jakesddfj just copies and pastes other peoples comments.

Gulper
frog
frog

Postby Gulper » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:30 pm

Damn- I didn't spot it. That is really annoying. Spammers are the Chytrid Fungus of this forum.

Lyndal
spawn
spawn

Postby Lyndal » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:50 am

Came across this forum while googling "Mosquito Dunks". We have tadpoles in our pond at the moment but also thousands of mosquito larvae. Have tried native fish with no success. The kookaburras love them! Does anyone know if these mosquito dunks are ok for tadpoles? Or any other suggestions? Love the frogs, hate the mozzies! Would be grateful for any help!

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”