Are our pygmy perch are still alive and if so why aren't they eating all the mozzie larvae?

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

El Leafo
spawn
spawn

Are our pygmy perch are still alive and if so why aren't they eating all the mozzie larvae?

Postby El Leafo » Tue May 30, 2017 6:26 am

Hi folks, my little son and I set up a frog pond a few weeks ago. Grateful for all the useful advice here.

We put four pygmy perch in the pond when we built it. However in the last few days we've noticed we have a LOT of mozzie larvae.

We're wondering if this is because we don't have enough fish, or because the fish have died. I don't want to buy more (@ $10 each!) if for some reason they are not surviving in our pond.

My son suggested that we would have found their floating bodies if they had died. Is that true or could their corpses have sunk to the bottom?

Being pygmy perch I know it is normal to not see much of them. But is there any way I can tell if they are still there? The presence of all these wrigglers seems to suggest they're not, but it could be they're just too many for the fish to eat.

Another possible explanation is that the fish can't get to the larvae because they are hiding up around the top of submerged plant pots - could it be that they are too well protected from the shy little pygmy perch?

If the pygmy perch are in fact dead, any idea what could be wrong with our pond that may have killed them?

Any advice to help us decide whether or not to shell out for more pygmy perch, or try a different type of fish much appreciated!

PS We're in Melbourne.

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Re: Are our pygmy perch are still alive and if so why aren't they eating all the mozzie larvae?

Postby Chris Key » Tue May 30, 2017 10:26 pm

take a sample of the water to an aquarium shop and get them to test for nitrates, hardness etc. Unless you have those test kits and can do it yourself :) Water quality is the easiest thing to rule out.

When I had an aquarium, the dead fish always were on the bottom, not the top. Usually with a bristlenose catfish munching on them :lol:

El Leafo
spawn
spawn

Re: Are our pygmy perch are still alive and if so why aren't they eating all the mozzie larvae?

Postby El Leafo » Wed May 31, 2017 4:35 pm

Thank you, I hadn't thought of that. I'll take some water for testing at the acquarium where I bought the fish.

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”