Encouraging frogs not to come inside

The Frog Watch project focuses on frog-friendly gardening - the approach to conservation is based on learning, appreciation and involvement. This forum deals with all topics relating to providing habitat for local frogs including ponds, plants, and fish.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

cocopopstars17
spawn
spawn

Encouraging frogs not to come inside

Postby cocopopstars17 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Hello. I am a new member. Over the last week I have had about 3-5 frogs coming into my house each night. I'm thrilled they are in my garden but I dont think its safe for them inside because a) i have a cat b)when i find them they are tangled in carpet fibre/fluff from around the floors. I put a towel across the gap in the bottum of the front door as thats where I thought they would be getting in but had 3 last night. Are there any tips to keep them outside?? What would be the reason they would come inside food/insects? Light? For fun!!

Aaron
frog
frog

Re: Encouraging frogs not to come inside

Postby Aaron » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:32 am

It's great you have frogs around the house but I agree getting them tangled up in the carpet is probably not best for them! Frogs move around looking for food, water and shelter. In wet conditions that will be when they move around the most. It would just be a matter of sealing entry points into your house to prevent them getting indoors and then possibly placing some refuges outside for them to shelter in or look for food e.g. rocks, pots, plastic piping etc.

Are these young frogs? Often when the tadpoles metamorph into frogs they young ones will disperse far and wide looking for shelter and food.

cocopopstars17
spawn
spawn

Postby cocopopstars17 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks Aaron.

Im not sure about the age of the frogs, I have found one of their hidey holes in a pot of irises. I have a shady wet area of the garden i thought they would be around there. Its a large pot and there are both green and brown frogs in there about 3cm long. I have photos but not sure how to post them. They seem pretty happy there so have put containers of rainwater with large smooth rocks for them close by. The seemed to stop coming inside as soon as I put the water out. I also put another big pot of cardamon which pretty much is like ginger foliage next to irises so they have extra space.

The next thing I'm now wondering about is how seasol, powerfeed and sulphate of potash in liquid form would effect them. I want to use sulphate of potash on my tomato plants?

And will the frogs get out of the way when I mow the lawn around the area they are in? That sounds like a stupid question but I would hate to kill them with the mower.

Thanks again.

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:27 pm

cocopopstars17 wrote:Im not sure about the age of the frogs, I have found one of their hidey holes in a pot of irises. I have a shady wet area of the garden i thought they would be around there. Its a large pot and there are both green and brown frogs in there about 3cm long. I have photos but not sure how to post them. They seem pretty happy there so have put containers of rainwater with large smooth rocks for them close by. The seemed to stop coming inside as soon as I put the water out. I also put another big pot of cardamon which pretty much is like ginger foliage next to irises so they have extra space.

That sounds like a good solution, I think the more habitat for them outdoors will make the indoors seem like a less attractive option.

cocopopstars17 wrote:The next thing I'm now wondering about is how seasol, powerfeed and sulphate of potash in liquid form would effect them. I want to use sulphate of potash on my tomato plants?

Liquid fertilisers I think should be okay if they are applied directly to the soil in the pots etc. I would be cautious of any possible run off into any ponds or water containers you have around however. Any type of broad scale spraying of plants might affect the frogs if they are sheltering in the leaves.

cocopopstars17 wrote:And will the frogs get out of the way when I mow the lawn around the area they are in? That sounds like a stupid question but I would hate to kill them with the mower.

I think most frogs would prefer to shelter in the rocks and pots rather than on the lawn itself unless the grass is really long! :) You can't always guarantee there won't be any frogs in the grass, particularly young ones but a quick visual check of the area could make sure theres no adults who have chosen to rest there overnight.

cocopopstars17
spawn
spawn

Postby cocopopstars17 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:55 pm

Thankyou so much for your help :D :D :D

Return to “Frog-friendly gardening”