The season has started in the Lower Clarence.

This forum is for all those interested in Australian frogs. Share stories and pictures of your pet frog or tell your tall tale of contact in the wilds of suburbia or bushland.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

adoptatadpole
metamorphling
metamorphling

The season has started in the Lower Clarence.

Postby adoptatadpole » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:23 am

G'day everyone, the first of my expected one thousand + frogs have appeared in the pond. I'm going to be busy keeping lettuce and good water up to them.

I have never had so many tadpoles before, many different types. :shock:
Attachments
20151110 season start50.jpg
Number one.

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:38 am

Nice looking froglet, I think it might be an Eastern Sedge Frog (Litoria fallax)? Definitely looks like a good breeding season this year for the frogs!

adoptatadpole
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby adoptatadpole » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:28 am

Hey Arron. Yeah, my book says Litoria Fallax (Eastern Dwarf Tree Frog). Normally (last few years) when they jump out onto a leaf or pad , they only have a little black stub of a tail. This one stood out because of the length of tail still following on behind. :roll: There's more jumping out as I write.

How are things going down in Shideny.

Cheers,
Al

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:37 pm

It's handy it kept the tail as those markings and spots on it are so distinctive of L. fallax.

Sydney has been getting good rains all Spring. Most of the stream-breeding frogs have bred but I think we need some warmer nights to get the pond frogs really going!

adoptatadpole
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby adoptatadpole » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:30 am

Yes, I've noticed you have been getting a bit of Melbourne weather there lately. :-)
Had about six different calls in the pond last night. One of them was the Broad Palmed Rocket Frog, which I haven't heard for a couple of years. Things are looking good - still no Cane Toads here but they are all around. Lucky I guess. I've been Toad Busting in a lot of towns around us and we usually end up with a sugar bag full for three or four hours walking. Buggers of things. CU, Al

Return to “Encounters”